anjasamy

George Floyd: Manchester mural defaced again

Breaking News: The George Floyd mural in Manchester has been defaced with racist graffiti for the second time
George Floyd mural Manchester defaced. Photo: @The Mancunion

A Manchester mural in memory of George Floyd has been defaced for a second time.

The portrait, which was painted by artist AKSE P19, is located in Stevenson Square, Northern Quarter. A large ‘N’ has been spray painted over the mural in an appalling repeat of a similar incident in summer.

This is the second time in less than a year that the mural has been damaged by racist graffiti. In July 2020, a young white man was caught on CCTV writing a racial slur in spray paint on the artwork.

George Floyd mural graffiti suspect
Photo: @GMP
George Floyd mural graffiti suspect
Footage shows a man defacing the mural (July 2020). Photo: @GMP

Police at the time launched an investigation into the “racially aggravated criminal damage” and Akse P19 was re-commissioned to repair the portrait.

George Floyd, a security guard, was the victim of police brutality in Minneapolis, USA. Mr Floyd died after being pinned to the ground by police officers. His face has since become a symbol of the Black Lives Matter movement.

Work is currently being undertaken to remedy the damage.

This is a breaking news story. More details will follow shortly.

Anja Samy

Anja Samy

Editorial Advisor and Head of Manchester Media Group.