benjaminklaubergriffiths

No Time To Die: Takes too long to die

Daniel Craig’s final outing as Bond is packed full of action and homages to his time in the role.
No Time To Die: Takes too long to die
Photo: Glyn Lowe @ Wikimedia Commons

With No Time to Die, despite being new to the Bond franchise, director Cary Joji Fukunaga has created an exquisitely shot, magical mystery tour back through this Bond’s illustrious career.

The plot, though in some places slightly tenuous, catches the late onset maturity of Craig’s Bond. The film provides possibly the most frightening threat of his tenure in what feels like an attempt to root the film in a reality that resembles this one. 

Though there are aspects of hilarity in previous Bonds (not always intentional), this picture took a much lighter tone in compared to the macho overtones of the other films. This creative decision pays off and provides a sound conclusion which, unlike Pierce Brosnan’s send off, gives Craig a deserved and dignified exit. 

Photo: Gerard Stolk @ Flickr

After the disappointment of Spectre’s straining plot and underwhelming climax, the addition of Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s writing talents provide a new take on Bond. A subtler, nostalgic sentiment shadowed the character throughout, helping to move away from the passé misogyny, alcoholism and shirtlessness we have come to associate with Craig’s Bond. Just as a warning, all the women do stay fully clothed in this one.

Whilst the villain has a rather predictably tedious backstory, Rami Malek does provide a genuinely unhinged performance whilst maintaining an ego that could believably produce the faults that led to his unavoidable downfall. Instead, vague, and often confusingly pointless plot detail means the film can drag. Not to mention its enormous run time of 2 hours 43 minutes.

However, by humanising Bond, reclaiming locations from films-gone-by and quietly referencing past iconic scenes, No Time to Die finds its greatest successes. Though it stands as a fabulous piece of cinema on its own, a re-watch of Daniel Craig’s tenure is recommended to retrieve all the allusions and motivations of the film but not required. However, for the more emotional viewer, a box of tissues is a must.

4.5/5.

Written By Orla McKee.

An evening at the Dune: Part Two world premiere

Prepare to return to Arrakis as Dune: Part Two held its world premiere in London, as expected it featured its A-list cast, fans, and of course, lots of sand

An evening with CULTPLEX

This weekend I paid a visit to CULTPLEX, a small cult cinema hidden above a restaurant on Manchester’s Red Bank, and this is why you should go too

The Promised Land review: Man on the moor

This rugged tale of Danish frontier settlement is also a story of struggle – against the land, entrenched hierarchies, and within oneself

Opinion: Every Best Picture winner of the 21st century, ranked from worst to best

With the 96th Academy Awards looming, let’s look back at this century’s winners of the big grand prize of Best Picture