reeceritchie
23rd October 2021

Stromae revients with new song ‘Santé’

Natasha Williamson delves into Stromae’s reinvention with Santé. The maestros first release in over three years, his artistry and cinematography.
Stromae revients with new song ‘Santé’
Photo: Kmeron @ Flickr

Written by Natasha Williamson.

After a three-year hiatus, Belgian artist Paul Van Haver, otherwise known as Stromae, has returned with a new single, ‘Santé’. Many may know him best for his song ‘Alors on dance’ released back in 2009 and its recent Tiktok revival, or else encountered him during their GCSE French days. However, his credentials far outshine these limited interactions.

For an artist with only two albums to his name, Stromae’s impact has been immense. From Cheese (2010) to racine carrée (2013), Stromae has reinvented dance music, infusing it with influences from all over the world, from his native Belgium to Africa via Cuba. The lyrics behind his music are innovative for the genre too – they are thought-provoking, topical and layered. He warned us of the trappings of social media and consumerism way back in 2013 with his song ‘Carmen’. With new single ‘Santé’ he celebrates the unsung heroes of our communities, those working long hours in demanding jobs. 

Stromae is a maestro of more than just music.

His music videos ooze quality, a strong style and Stromae’s own quirky sense of humour. They are artistic vision manifested, which is understandable as Stromae’s label Mosaert is his own, co-founded with his brother, artistic director Luc Van Haver. Mosaert have helped the likes of Dua Lipa and Billie Eillish to create videos, while Stromae’s own video for ‘Tous les memes’ was a masterpiece in cynicism and humour. Focusing on attitudes of men and women toward one another. The video for ‘Santé’ is no different; it is joyous and colourful, clever and catchy and very Stromae. This vision carries through into his live performances.

As with the rest of his work, Stromae is bold and unafraid to push boundaries. The video for his song ‘Formidable’ saw him portraying a drunken homeless man in the centre of Brussels, filmed using secret cameras to capture authentic reactions from passers-by. Despite his frank conversation about social media in ‘Carmen’, Stromae has mastered this modern age. He creates exciting and innovative content (check out his ‘Stromae takes America’ and ‘Leçons’ series on Youtube, especially if you’re interested in making electronic music yourself) and he is an exciting and innovative individual.

He’s even done a Ted talk, for god’s sake.

It’s been quiet with him away, so here’s me raising a glass and giving a little santé, the French for “cheers”, to Stromae and his welcome return. 

Check out Stromae’s spotify here!

Reece Ritchie

Reece Ritchie

Reece is the Mancunion’s Music Editor, leading the team covering Manchester’s music scene and beyond. He is also an editor at Music Is To Blame, an independent music publications and has written words for WHATWESPEW the Manchester punk collective.Now Head Rep for the record label Scruff of the Neck and the host of The Northwest Emo Show he continues to deliver articles on the very best music Manchester and the UK has to offer. He also features his own photography within his articles, working with the likes of Slowthai, Enter Shikari and Wargasm.

Liam Gallagher and John Squire: Not quite a match made in Britpop Heaven

After the much anticipated collaboration between Oasis’ Liam Gallagher and John Squire, of Stone Roses fame, the LP ‘Liam Gallagher and John Squire’ ultimately falls flat

International Women’s Day at Radio 6 Music Festival: Gossip headline CMAT and Afrodeutsche

Artists Gossip, CMAT, and Afrodeutsche were on the line-up at BBC 6 Music Festival for a musical celebration of International Women’s Day

Young Fathers bring community together at 6 Music Festival

Young Fathers, Hak Baker, and Sherelle launch the first day of 6 Music Festival, situated for a second year in Manchester

Snow Strippers live at The White Hotel: The industrial EDM future is in good hands

The Florida duo Snow Strippers are successfully reviving a lost EDM sound which infected pop music throughout the late 2000s and early 2010s. Here they came to Manchester to showcase this new, revised sound in the dark, dingy White Hotel in Salford