the-mancunion-team

Grimmfest 2021: The Pizzagate Massacre

The Pizzagate Massacre is an uncomfortable and unpleasant disappointment
Grimmfest 2021: The Pizzagate Massacre
Photo: The Pizzagate Massacre, courtesy of Grimmfest

Written by Mila Filipova.

If you have read or watched enough American media you would probably have heard of the Pizzagate conspiracy theory. Unfortunately, Grimmfest’s The Pizzagate Massacre is intentionally misleading. 

The film sets up an interesting premise. Duncan, an unemployed middle-aged man, lives in his van and, alongside Karen, a journalist who has recently been fired, attempts to investigate a sex ring operating out of a pizza restaurant in Texas. However, disaster soon strikes as Duncan kills several people and struggles to make progress on his case. Karen is also a flawed character who is dismissively silent throughout and does little to progress the plot. 

The Pizzagate Massacre trailer

A dramatic ending was not enough to make up for the hour and a half of bad jokes and non-existent horror. Mysteriously, this film made it into the Grimmfest lineup having been classed as an action comedy by IMDB.

There is an attempt to ridicule and mock conspiracy theory believers in general, but the humour is too weak and clunky to achieve any real point.  Similar to the 2019 zombie comedy The Dead Don’t Die, the film attempts to use humour to relieve some of the pressure of an apocalyptic situation. However, because The Pizzagate Massacre is so lacking in tension or convincing danger, its comedy falls flat and fails to even make the odd sex cult storyline feel engaging.

It is a shame that the execution of this bland film couldn’t live up to the intrigue of the real world conspiracy. Disappointing and flat, The Pizzagate Massacre fails to provide either horror or sympathy for its repellent characters.

2/5.

Cannes 2022: Triangle of Sadness and ridiculing the rich

Palme-d’Or-winning Triangle of Sadness is a wild, cynical satire ridiculing the rich in all possible ways.
Moon Knight: A predictable return to Marvel’s superhero formula

Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke shine in this disappointing first outing of one of Marvel’s most controversial characters
Review: The Kardashians

Review: The Kardashians

Keeping Up is long gone, it’s all about the Kardashian’s new show… The Kardashians! But with it only being available on Disney+, is it worth the subscription?
Resurgence of the witch: The modern feminist icon?

From Rosemary’s Baby to Midsommar, how has the figure of the witch changed in cinema and beyond?