erinbotten

Agony Aunt Angela: Trapped by tears

A student stuck in a toxic relationship needs out, but can’t seem to stay single for long. Can Aunt Angela help them dump their ex guilt free?
Agony Aunt Angela: Trapped by tears

“How do you breakup with someone who refuses to let you? I’ve tried before and end up feeling guilty, meaning we stay together. Other times they tell me I can’t break up with them…”

Ummm, as far as I’m aware, that person isn’t the breakup police. In fact, if you want to break up with someone, you can. You don’t need their permission! I’ve never actually heard of someone refusing to be broken up with – it’s almost funny. Are you sure they know what breakups are?

Your (hopefully) soon-to-be-ex sounds incredibly manipulative and controlling. These are beyond red flags. If anything, their toxic behaviour is a sign to bail even quicker. What gives them the right to decide whether you’re allowed to walk away if you’re unhappy, which you clearly are.  By this point, you’re being held hostage, not in a loving relationship, but in a situationship at most.

If you don’t live together, I would just break up with them over text. Straight after, block them on everything. Instagram, mobile, email, hell even Depop if you have to. You’re past polite moral obligations at this stage.  You just need out, and texting is a quick distanced way of doing it.

Once you’ve done the deed, refrain from any further contact. Share the news with mutual friends that you’ve ended things and maybe explain why. This way, your ex can’t paint you as the ‘bad guy’, making you feel guilty for ending things. Plus, but cutting them off completely, you can genuinely start afresh.

Regardless of how they feel about the situation, they don’t get to ‘refuse’ your decision to end your relationship or invalidate your feelings. If they ask to be friends or even loose acquaintances, firmly decline. They will use any snippet of connection they have with you to try and get you back, further causing you stress. Either way, it needs to end, and you know that. Help is always available if you need it.

Kisses, Agony Aunt Angela

Need some advice? Send in your mishaps and worries here!

Services

Refuge 24hr helpline: 0808 2000 247

Citizens Advice

Very Well Mind

Did you know that there’s a spa under Simon Building

Rumour has it that deep in the depths of UoM lies a hidden spa. Why? We cannot say. But should you embark on an adventure to find it? Absolutely.

Three years at university: What have I learnt?

As the academic year draws to a close, here are some of the more unexpected lessons I have learnt from three years at Manchester University

How do we tackle the student loneliness crisis?

At a university where 45,000 students cross paths every day, it should be impossible to feel lonely

Keeping on top of the news cycle: How to stay up to date as a student

Being a student can mean an incredibly busy schedule, so how can you make time to find out what’s happening in the world?