emmahattersley

12 days of Christmas: Four calling collies

On the fourth day of Christmas, did your loved one give you a calling bird, or a colly bird? Find out why this popular song lyric has changed throughout history
Photo: Luiz Lapa @Flickr

On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me… four colly birds? Calling birds? Which is it?

Modern audiences will typically sing calling birds, but the original was colly birds, and it turns out there are scientific explanations behind lyric transformations of this kind – known as mondegreens.

What are mondegreens?

Mondegreens are incorrect words or phrases arising from the mishearing of lyrics in popular songs. The term was coined from a 1954 essay by Silvia Wright, in which she remembered how as a child, she misheard the start of one of her favourite poems, The Bonnie Earl O’Moray: “They hae slain the Earl o’ Moray, And Lady Mondegreen

The line was in fact, “And laid him on the green,” and the incorrect word – which Wright quipped was better than the original, was used to name the phenomenon.

Why do we mishear lyrics?

Sound is made up of pressure waves travelling through the air. When it reaches our ear canal, the ear drum vibrates, and a few small bones amplify this vibration, passing it through towards the cochlea.

The cochlea is a spiral-shaped component covered in thousands of tiny hairs, which convert the vibration into an electrical signal, which is then interpreted by the brain.

The way the brain interprets the signal is hugely complex, which is why the perception of sound varies so dramatically from person to person. Add in layers of confusion introduced by music, such as instruments that might muffle the vocal line, and it’s hardly surprising that so many people mishear lyrics from popular songs.

Psychological research suggests that we are likely to substitute a phrase we don’t hear clearly with one which makes more sense to us. In addition, it’s harder to hear the correct lyrics when the brain has formed a version they now expect to hear.

Sound and hearing are hugely subjective, as is our enjoyment of lyrics and poetry. The poor colly birds may therefore have to resign themselves to being left out of the 12 days of Christmas, at least for now.

Emma Hattersley

Emma Hattersley

Editor: Science and Technology Section

Killing consumerism: Are we headed to disposal doom?

In his keynote presentation, Professor Mark Miodownik deliberates on the perils of consumerism, how we might manage to bring it to a sustainable future, and its obsolescence

Fake papers in research: When science lies

Nature revealed last year that 2% of scientific papers – tens of thousands – are not as true as you’d think they are. Hannah looks into the situation at hand

Science in the news: Sleepy penguins, record-breaking icebergs and the end of wine fraud

An AI sommelier, a remarkable sleeping habit and a giant iceberg are all covered in these stories of science in the news

Flying Green: The first transatlantic flight using 100% sustainable fuel jets off

The first transatlantic flight run on 100% sustainable fuel ran at the end of last year – it could be the start of more environmentally friendly travel