jaydarcy

The Tiger Lillies are coming HOME from the cemetery

The Tiger Lillies return to the UK with their new tour, From the Circus to the Cemetery
Photo: The Tiger Lillies

After years away touring the freakshows and graveyard of the world, the legendary alternative-rock trio The Tiger Lillies are embarking on a European tour of their highly-acclaimed back catalogue of music with their show From the Circus to the Cemetery, coinciding with the release of their first ‘best of’ album, The Worst of The Tiger Lillies.

The UK leg will see the band appear all over the country, performing songs like ‘Roll Up’, ‘Danced All Night’ and ‘Boatman’, which have not been played in years!

The 2 x Olivier-winning and Grammy-nominated “Godfathers of alternative cabaret” return with a career0spanning concert. Expect dark and deviant theatrics as they delve into their back catalogue, presenting their most famous songs alongside new surprises.

With an international reputation for being one of the foremost avant-garde bands in the world, The Tiger Lillies never cease to surprise, shock and entertain with their inimitable musical style, conjuring up the macabre magic of pre-war Berlin and fusing it with the savage edge of punk.

With their dark and eccentric underground appeal, Tiger Lillies’ image and style is described as “the macabre magic of pre-war Berlin, with the savage edge of punk”, and leaves no deviant theatrics unturned.

The world of The Tiger Lillies is dark, peculiar and varied, with moments of deep sadness, cruel black humour and immense beauty. The three-piece band consists of Martyn Jaques, Adrian Stout and Budi Butenop, who together create a unique theatrical sound and whose signature blend of chanson, opera, and Romany Gypsy music. Their shows have gone down a storm with audiences all over the world, playing concerts and theatre shows such as The Tiger Lillies’ Christmas Carol, The Ancient Mariner, and the two-time Olivier-winning West End hit Shockheaded Peter.

I saw The Tiger Lillies back in 2018, in their show Corrido de la Sangre. I had never seen anything quite like it before, have not seen anything like it since – and probably never will. The Tiger Lillies are alternative to alternative. They are truly unique, one-of-a-kind, and entirely bonkers – but all the best people are!

The Tiger Lillies tour the UK with From the Circus to the Cemetery from May 4 to June 10, with a stop at HOME (Theatre 1) on May 26.

Jay Darcy

Jay Darcy

Theatre Editor. Instagram & Twitter: @jaydarcy7. Email: [email protected].