maiapenny

Eerily easy makeup looks to try this Halloween

No costume? Don’t fret! Try these easy eye Halloween makeup looks instead – you’ll look scarily spectacular
Credit: Maia Penny and Letycja Oczkowicz @ The Mancunion

Halloween season is approaching frighteningly fast. If you still haven’t managed to organise your Halloween costume, try pairing any simple black ensemble that you have in your closet with our ‘bats wings’ liner or ‘spider web’ look. Or you could put together an outfit using white garments you already own and attempt the dazzling ‘angel wings’. If red is more your groove, we would recommend the ‘devil’s tail’ look for a spooky and effective rendition of the classic costume. Either way, you’re bound to look drop-dead gorgeous!

Angel wings

Credit: Maia Penny @ The Mancunion

To recreate this simple angelic look you will need a white liner, a white highlighter, and a silver gem (additional silver liner is optional but adds a lovely sparkle). Simply draw a straight line with your white liner and connect it with your outer corner. Add a few strokes underneath for this feather effect. This might take a few layers of white liner, so don’t get discouraged if the wing is not winging straight away. For a more dimensional look you can add some silver accents on the side of the feathers. For that extra sparkly effect add some white highlighter above your eyelid and your inner corner. Now decorate with a little silver gem and you’re all set for a heavenly Halloween party!

Spider web

Credit: Letycja Oczkowicz @ The Mancunion

This spider web makeup look might seem like it would get you in a tangle, but it’s actually super easy! You only need a black liner and some highlighter for extra dazzle. Start by drawing four black lines in a fan shape coming from your lash line. Next, connect them using curved lines in a web shape. The last step is to add your scary spider. Draw a straight line down from the web and add a flattened circle and fill it in. Add four straight lines to each side of the body before attaching little lines that curve downwards and outwards. You can also add some highlighter to your inner corner, as well as on the top of your web, to give it an iridescent look.

Devil’s tail

Credit: Maia Penny @ The Mancunion

For this devilish look all you need is a red liner and some red eyeshadow. If you don’t have a red liner don’t worry, just grab an angled brush and some red eyeshadow, or if you don’t have red eyeshadow you can simply use red lipstick. Start the devil’s tail in the outer corner of your eye, just like for a normal wing. Draw out the wiggle in a continuous, uninterrupted stroke pointing upwards. Add an arrow at the end to complete the tail. Finish the look off with some extra touches of red eyeshadow on your brow bone and your lower lash line. Now you’re ready for one hell of a Halloween!

Bat wings

To achieve this spooky batwing liner all you need is a trusty black eyeliner (and unless you’re a pro, probably some cotton buds to clean up the sharp edges). Start by creating a line that curves slightly upwards from the place you would usually start your liner and flick it up a little at the end to create the first spike. Next, bring the line down towards your cheekbone, keeping it as straight as possible. From here you need to create the curves which define the bottom of the wing. I opted to draw two spikes along the bottom before connecting back to the lash line with a straight line.

Now you need to fill in the liner shape with your black liner. The last step is to draw a few little curved ‘V’ shapes above the liner as tiny bat accents. To recreate the look exactly from the photo, you’ll also need to add some cool-toned brown shadow above the crease and on the lower lash line with a fluffy brush. Finally, line your waterline with a black pencil, and add some highlight to the inner corner.

Hopefully these simple but effective looks have inspired you to level up your Halloween costume this year with some scarily good eye makeup. We can’t promise that you’ll be the belle of the ball but you’ll certainly be a Hallow-queen!

Leopard print roars back: The resurgence of a popular fashion trend

Exploring the resurgence of leopard print – how the iconic pattern clawed its way back into fashion’s spotlight with a blend of nostalgia, contemporary flair, and widespread celebrity endorsement

Celebrity style guide #7: Lewis Hamilton

Not everyone would look to the Formula 1 paddock for style inspiration, but luckily our editors have some insight from Lewis Hamilton to help you elevate your wardrobe

3D nails: Achieving new heights in beauty

Does the rise of 3D nail art in the wake of the ‘clean girl’ beauty era signal the resurgence of maximalism? Where did the 3D nail trend begin and where can you get your own unique set?