grainne-morrison

Fashion Week Roundup

Gráinne Morrison reports on what we’ll all be wearing in A/W13

Although Spring/Summer 2013 may now be upon us (even if Manchester’s bizarre microclimate tells us otherwise), complacency in fashion is never an option. With Paris fashion week having just ended, one must begin looking forward to the next Autumn/Winter collections so as not to fall behind (as if). So what will we be coveting, and hopefully wearing, come Fresher’s Week 2013?

In London, Burbery Prorsum, known for influencing trends year after year, debuted sharp ensembles embellished with animal prints and stripes; with the classic trench appearing in wet-look and even in transparent rubber (sexy yet classy, always a favourite). Roksanda Illinic wowed the front row in London with a daring palette of various colours (a rarity at A/W shows), hinting that, this autumn, pastels and mint green will be brightening up our wardrobes. For the less adventurous, luckily a key colour to invest in this year will be grey, which proved a hit in New York at shows such as Caroline Herrerra and Vera Wang.

Jason Wu Show. Photo: www.fashion-style.becomegorgeous.com

Fur, not surprisingly, was everywhere in New York with Mink and Fox fur making a massive appearance throughout the week (Jason Wu was a personal favourite). And if like me you’re somewhat adverse to wearing animals, faux fur versions will no doubt come our way. With high street chains such as Topshop being given prominence at London Fashion Week and a H&M show in Paris, fashion has never been more accessible – making the impact of the major fashion weeks relevant to buyers of all budgets. And, if the well-received Topshop Unique show is anything to go by, what we have access to is fun fashion in the form of pink shearling coats and pleated skirts.

Balenciaga Show. Photo: balenciaga.com

A standout look at many Paris shows was sophisticated monochrome, most notably at the Viktor & Rolf and the Balenciaga shows. With simplicity in terms of colours, this means the onus is on smart, structured shapes next season to complete the look. In Milan, the effect of Chanel’s amazing December show in Scotland was rife, with D&G, Moschino and Alberta Ferretti all professing a penchant for tartan. So for those of you without a clan tartan, you can just fake a little highland heritage next season (I won’t tell, promise).

Photo: Moschino.com

Great news for all you leather lovers out there, your beloved material will still be making waves next season, but you may have to branch out from black – candy colours may seem out-there, but Prada does know best. So whilst I have only skimmed the surface of the numerous trends making waves in the fashion world, you now have no excuse to feign ignorance when everyone’s wearing tartan and you’re still in khaki. No excuse.

Leopard print roars back: The resurgence of a popular fashion trend

Exploring the resurgence of leopard print – how the iconic pattern clawed its way back into fashion’s spotlight with a blend of nostalgia, contemporary flair, and widespread celebrity endorsement

Celebrity style guide #7: Lewis Hamilton

Not everyone would look to the Formula 1 paddock for style inspiration, but luckily our editors have some insight from Lewis Hamilton to help you elevate your wardrobe

3D nails: Achieving new heights in beauty

Does the rise of 3D nail art in the wake of the ‘clean girl’ beauty era signal the resurgence of maximalism? Where did the 3D nail trend begin and where can you get your own unique set?