2nd December 2010

Happy Birthday: Bill Murray (21/09/2010)

It is said that Bill Murray likes to sneak up behind strangers in New York, whisper, “Guess who?” and, when they turn around, tell them: “I’m Bill Murray. No one will ever believe you.” This would not be funny in a club, in Sainsbury’s or on campus, nor is it a good way to meet strangers.
Bill looking good at 60

Bill Murray is 60. How are you going to celebrate? On Tuesday night I advise all you first years to stay in with your flatmates and watch Lost in Translation– that’s what I’m going to do. Don’t, whatever you do, drink half a bottle of Sainsbury’s Basics vodka and end up at some club dressed as Steve Zissou, that’s a bad idea. It would be frankly inappropriate, too, to try and recreate ‘The Murricane’, the cocktail named in Bill Murray’s honour, containing bourbon, basil, elderflower, watermelon and pepper. That would be a stupid and quite frankly, expensive way to start the evening.
  I mean yes, you may have just had a huge loan wired straight into your bank account, but you have to save that money. Just because Sainsbury’s do their own brand of bourbon whiskey doesn’t mean that you have to buy it. Don’t even think about creating your own Murray-based cocktail either, something crass like ‘The Ghostbuster’. I mean, does it really sound like a good idea to mix Vodka and Sambuca, and then put it in a water pistol and go find a flat party?
  Also, it would be unseemly to take advantage of the many drinking games Mr. Murray’s birthday could generate. Groundhog Day, for example, was a fine piece of cinema – it doesn’t mean that you have to shout it every time someone repeats themselves (nor does it mean that they have to then take a shot).
  So, I’ll ask you again. How are you going to celebrate?

Bill Knowles

Cosy up with Backyard Cinema this Autumn

A preview of Backyard Cinema, the immersive movie experience coming to Manchester this Autumn.
Comfort films and TV shows to cure the freshers blues

Freshers week and moving to university can be a daunting experience even for the most excited fresher so The Mancunion’s On-screen team have got a list of the films and TV shows they turn to for comfort when feeling blue!
Cannes 2022: Armageddon Time and understanding your privilege

James Gray’s Armageddon Time is a heartbreaking story of a young boy who begins to understand his privilege growing up in 1980s New York.
Cannes 2022: Triangle of Sadness and ridiculing the rich

Palme-d’Or-winning Triangle of Sadness is a wild, cynical satire ridiculing the rich in all possible ways.