ruth-wildman
23rd September 2011

Councillors clamp down on Fallowfield bars

New bars in the Fallowfield and Withington areas will face stricter licensing criteria under plans by councillors

New bars in the Fallowfield and Withington areas will face stricter licensing criteria under plans by councillors.

In an attempt to reduce anti-social behaviour in the student areas, new bars may be subject to reduced opening hours. In June this year, as exams were finishing, there were 315 reports of anti-social behaviour within the M14 postcode area, which covers Fallowfield.

The council is attempting to introduce the regulations to reduce the amount of noise and binge drinking.

The number of new bars allowed to open may also be restricted, although there are no plans to restrict the operations of bars currently in the area.

Fallowfield, a large residential area for students, already has around 20 establishments licensed to serve alcohol and has been named as a “problem area” for anti-social behaviour.

The restriction of licensing could follow assessments in the areas most popular with students.

Permanent residents and the owners of bars and businesses in the area will also be consulted throughout the assessment.

The level of crime and disorder in districts such as Fallowfield and Withington are factors in these assessments.

The restrictions are part of a plan to ensure that licensed businesses interact well, making positive contributions to their communities.

The council aims to “encourage a move away from youth-orientated, alcohol dominated establishments” in Manchester.

Ruth Wildman

Ruth Wildman

Former News Editor (2011-2012).

Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.