joe-goggins

Live: Death From Above 1979

The Canadian duo cast aside past differences to deliver a scintillating set at the Academy

Academy 1

8/10

The huge backdrop looming over the Academy 1 stage tonight tells you pretty much everything you need to know about Death from Above 1979’s history to this point; zombified, cartoon versions of drummer Sebastian Grainger and bassist Jesse Keeler are depicted emerging either side of a gravestone reading ‘DFA 1979 2001-2006’, and indeed it’s a visual summary with all the subtlety and restraint of the band’s musical style.

Announcing their arrival with an utterly brutal rendition of ‘Turn It Out’, the Toronto duo are clearly hell-bent on making up for lost time, tearing through material from their only record to date, 2004’s You’re a Woman, I’m a Machine, with a level of aggression that borders on the disturbing. Eschewing the conventional insistence on rock music being centred around the electric guitar, DFA rely simply on a blistering rhythm section, along with the occasional smattering of synth, to create an effusive blend of raw punk and slick funk rock  that has tonight’s audience moshing and dancing in equal measure. With no new material to air – and, indeed, no indication as to whether any has or will be written – the eighty-minute set is fleshed out with a slew of early EP material that’s sadly lost on large swathes of the crowd, and unsurprisingly it’s the big hitters that truly set the room alight – ‘Blood on Our Hands’ inspires a manic singalong, with ‘Black History Month’s slithering bass proving irresistibly danceable and the riff from set highlight ‘Romantic Rights’ threatening to tear a hole in the roof. They might not record any more music, they might not even be friends, but there’ll be an item less on many a bucket list after tonight – an incredibly vital performance for a band that once, by their own admission, seemed dead and buried.

Joe Goggins

Joe Goggins

Music Editor.

Liam Gallagher and John Squire live in Manchester: ‘Growing old disgracefully’ in the best way possible

Oasis’ Liam Gallagher teams up with boyhood guitar hero John Squire of The Stone Roses to deliver psychedelic raucousness in Manchester

This Feeling live in Manchester: Rivia, The Stride, and Kyris take Off the Square

META – This Feeling’s latest Manchester outing showcases three guitar bands with big futures

86TVs live in Manchester: Headline debut in the city lights up the Deaf Institute

86TVs made their Manchester headline debut at The Deaf Institute, showcasing their new EP and unreleased material

Master Peace live at Night and Day: How To Make a Tour

The genre-bending, ‘indie sleaze revivalist’ brings his electrifying ‘How to Make a Tour’ set to Manchester’s Night and Day