emma-williams

Peace of mind and goodwill to all students

Keep your house safe and sound over the Christmas break

Earlier this term my student house was broken into, and worryingly many of you reading this will know of others, or experienced yourself the devastating and infuriating violation of having your possessions nicked.

The landlord’s parental lecture on security made me roll my eyes at the time, but apart from kicking myself for not being extra vigilant in checking locks and cursing the opportunists that lurk about Fallowfield, I have made it my mission to preach the importance of these minor actions that ensure your stuff doesn’t get nicked.

I know it seems a laborious task, and the prospect of having your printer on the seat next to you on the train home is a tad over-board, but taking everything of value home with you this Christmas is the most effective method in not being robbed of your treasured possessions.

Beg for a lift home if you can, with housemates or friends heading the same way as you or butter up the parents well in advance.

Closing windows and drawing curtains may seem a little obvious when leaving your house for a long period of time, but it’s surprising how many of us forget such simple actions.

Making sure nothing is on display will deter anyone from breaking in, because they can’t see anything that they want. Even investing in a cheap light-timer will make burglars think twice about targeting your house.

Drill these things into your housemates’ brains too: you can be responsible for your things, but who’s to say they won’t accidentally leave a window ajar or door unlocked.

And lets be honest, it’s bad enough returning to our favourite city for dreaded exams without the potential worry of an insecure house or stolen TV.

A guide to: City halls

Our guide to the often lesser-known city halls at the University of Manchester, which cater to both undergraduate and postgraduate students.

A guide to: Victoria Park halls

Found between the university campus and Fallowfield halls, we’re giving you our guide to UoM’s Victoria Park student accommodation.

Manchester Pride 2023 launches with Andy Burnham, Booking.com and Ghetto Fabulous

Manchester Pride held a media reception at The Midland, with guests including Andy Burnham and Bev Craig

Night of the Divas: Bongo’s Bingo review

The Bingo Rave event returned to Albert Hall for ‘Night of the Divas’. And what a night it was …