joe-goggins

Live: The Maccabees

Based on tonight’s performance, it’s impossible to recommend The Maccabees’ March tour highly enough.

The Ritz

8/10

Clichéd talk of ‘second album syndrome’ is commonplace these days, but a term pertaining directly to the dilemma a band faces after having delivered a convincing second record has yet to emerge – third album syndrome, perhaps? However you want to approach it, the Maccabees have rounded off an impressive opening hat-trick, already comprising the dainty pop of Colour It In and the indie rock leanings of Wall of Arms, with this month’s superb Given to the Wild. As well as meeting with the band’s highest ever chart position – entering at number four in its first week and frankly sticking out like a sore thumb whilst doing so – the record has clearly met with considerable acclaim from long-standing fans.

Tonight’s show at the Ritz sold out long before any new material had been released, yet reverential silence greets mellow set opener ‘Child’.  It’s a mark of the band’s confidence in the new album that they choose to frontload the set with a slew of tracks from it, with ‘Feel to Follow’, ‘Went Away’ and ‘Ayla’ all showcasing the band’s more expansive sound early on, a newfound maturity in frontman Orlando Weeks’ vocals married perfectly to soaring guitars. Older tracks are present and correct too, and it’s the likes of ‘X-Ray’ and ‘Can You Give It’ that demonstrate the strength in depth of the Maccabees back catalogue.

The potential on both record and stage is finally beginning to be borne out and tonight might ultimately prove a rare intimate performance, with the band already bound for London’s 10,000 capacity Alexandra Palace in June.

It’s impossible to recommend The Maccabees’ extensive March tour highly enough.

The Maccabees – Pelican (Radio 1 Live Lounge)

Joe Goggins

Joe Goggins

Music Editor.