hannah-mead

Live: Niki and the Dove @ Islington Mill

The BBC may love them but Hannah Mead certainly doesn’t.

Niki and the Dove
Islington Mill
8th February
1 star

It would be fair to say that I’m not quite sure what to make of Niki and the Dove. I’m also not sure whether that is a good thing or not, but my instinct tells me it is very bad indeed. On the one hand I think they are the most irritating, unmusical and unlikeable act on earth. However, there is a minute part of me that’s saying “C’mon dude, lighten up, maybe they ain’t so bad’. But on deeper analysis, I have realised that this was probably just down to the fact that nobody else in the packed out Islington Mill was openly objecting to a) the dreadful racket and b) what was going on on stage. Front woman, Malin Dahlström (no one in the band is even called Niki) was swaying and waving her arms around in a psychedelic manner that the cynic within just refused to accept.

I’ll admit that at times they sounded great – deep, moody bass filled the room, sending the crowd into a trance. But all too often it just reminded me of Jez and Superhans pissing around on keyboards but with a distinct lack of comedy. I can’t help but feel that if you’re going to piss around with electronic music, you at least need to be clever or funny about it.

When they arrived on stage, Dahlström’s voice was manipulated to sound like the Wicked Witch of the West. I think this was intended to be really profound and build up tension and atmosphere, but I was left wishing they would cut the theatrics and get on with it. The BBC may love them, but I don’t.

On a plus note, supporting act Patterns were excellent. Check them out if you can.

Niki and the Dove – DJ Ease My Mind

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark

Alive! Festival 3.0: Students’ Union solstice takeover lets the light in

Alive! Festival took over the Students’ Union for the third time, with the student-run event expanding its horizons over five stages featuring bands, DJs, talks, comedy, gameshows, and a Silent Disco

Live at Leeds in the Park: New discoveries and festival favourites

Was it the indie mainstays or the peppering of pop that stole the show at 2024’s Live at Leeds? Find out what went down here