daniel-jones

Feature: Four songs in the Field of: Funk

Dan Jones provides us with his 4 favourite songs in the much overlooked genre of funk.

‘Cissy Strut’ by The Meters

The phrase ‘cissy strut’ usually conjures up an image of Mick Jagger, prancing around on stage like a startled goose. Sadly, this track rarely comes to mind. The riffs are ridiculously infectious and as far as instrumentals go, it’s about five hundred times groovier than an Austin Powers lookalike competition. To be honest, if you whack it on after a few drinks you may even find yourself doing exactly what it says the tin.

‘Hollywood Swinging’ by Kool and the Gang

This classic might be heard at the odd wedding reception, but I’m certain it has induced a fair few memorable dances between pissed up aunties and reluctant nephews. The intro was sampled in ‘Let Me Clear My Throat’ by DJ Kool, who ironically shares no relation with Kool or any of the Gang. The song was also used on GTA: San Andreas, where it provided the perfect soundtrack for killing members of the general public with a baseball bat.

‘Controversy’ by Prince

I was in Sainsbury’s car park the other day, talking to my housemate about Prince. We both agreed that he looks a bit like the Child-Catcher, but we disagreed on our favourite tracks. I initially thought his choice was “controversial” to say the least – (sorry, I couldn’t help myself) – but lo and behold it was funkier than mine hands down. We put it on repeat on the way home and it was one of the best Sainsbury’s meal deals I’ve ever had.

‘Pass the Peas’ by Maceo Parker

At 10 minutes long, this is one for the real mack-daddies out there. Don’t worry though, Parker is of the highest funk pedigree; he was actually the saxophonist in James Brown’s backing band. In fact, Brown is credited on a number of tracks off 1992 album Life on Planet Groove – including this one. The rhythm is jumping, the saxophone is hot and you can almost imagine strolling into a Las Vegas casino like you’re part of Ocean’s Eleven.

The Smile live at BBC Radio 6 Music Festival: Contagious follow-up project impresses Manchester

Fans gather to see the much-anticipated Radiohead follow-up project The Smile headlining the Radio 6 Music festival in Manchester’s O2 Victoria Warehouse