lily-howes

Blind date: Sol and Annaliese

Will love blossom for Sol and Annaliese as they discuss hippy parents and the stale smell of Fifth Ave?

Sol, Third year, Philosophy

What were your expectations for the evening?

I didn’t know what to expect, to be honest…I was hoping for a tasty meal with someone good to chat with, and that’s basically what I got (which was nice).

First impressions?

She looked a little nervous as she came in, which was reassuring because I wasn’t feeling all that confident about the situation myself.

What did you talk about?

My hippy mum, corporate law, the speed limit in Guernsey, coxing and AU social, gourmet coffee, what lies beyond the Arndale centre, my little brother (possibly slightly too much – who knows), her childhood, Desperate Housewives, previous jobs, festivals…whatever came to mind, really.

Best thing about them?

She was easy to talk to, and she laughed at most of my jokes – that was a plus.

What did you eat?

I went for the steak with sweet potato chips, and a couple of pints of Brooklyn Lager to go with it. Was really tasty – I thought it could’ve done with a sauce, but I suppose they wouldn’t have been able to serve my meal on a little piece of slate if they’d done that…

Any awkwardness?

Not so much, I don’t think. Although in retrospect I wish I’d waited until we’d finished eating before musing about what 5th Ave would smell like if they didn’t have those smoke machines.

How did you part ways? (Mouth-to-mouth action/heavy petting/friendly hug?)

I waited with her at the bus stop and we hugged before she left.

Out of 10?

For the date? I’d say and 8.

Would you see them again?

I’d say so, yeah.

Annaliese, First year, Law

I didn’t really know what to expect other than a possibly very awkward meal with a complete stranger!

First impressions?

A nice, friendly guy.

What did you talk about?

Everything uni related; course, nights out, interests. Also talked about where we came from and why we came to Manchester.

Best thing about them?

Interesting to talk to and lots to talk about!

What did you eat?

He had steak, I had a burger. He also talked me into dessert since it was a free meal so I had the sticky toffee pudding.

Any awkwardness?

At the beginning as to be expected but we didn’t run out of things to talk about so it was fine.

How did you part ways?

We walked to the bus stop and hugged before departing our separate ways.

Out of 10?

Was a really nice dinner with good company, 7.

Would you see them again?

Quite possibly, as friends, who knows!

Sol and Annaliese ate at The Deaf Institute, Grosvenor Street, Manchester. Thanks to the guys down at Grosvenor Street for getting involved. To check out their menu, gig listings and have a look at what club nights are coming up visit their website www.thedeafinstitute.co.uk

To sign up for blind date please e mail your name, year of study and course to [email protected] with ‘blind date’ as the subject

Lily Howes

Lily Howes

Former Lifestyle Editor at The Mancunion (2011-2012). English Literature and Drama graduate. Originally from Croydon, South London. If you don’t fancy being hounded to sign up for Blind Date then do avoid me at all costs (however if you are interested in taking part then e mail [email protected])

Did you know that there’s a spa under Simon Building

Rumour has it that deep in the depths of UoM lies a hidden spa. Why? We cannot say. But should you embark on an adventure to find it? Absolutely.

Three years at university: What have I learnt?

As the academic year draws to a close, here are some of the more unexpected lessons I have learnt from three years at Manchester University

How do we tackle the student loneliness crisis?

At a university where 45,000 students cross paths every day, it should be impossible to feel lonely

Keeping on top of the news cycle: How to stay up to date as a student

Being a student can mean an incredibly busy schedule, so how can you make time to find out what’s happening in the world?