arron-wray

Retro Corner: Final Fantasy 8

Arron Wray looks back at a game that holds a special place in his heart.

Final Fantasy 8 is considered by many to be the weakest entry in the series. Whilst I can clearly see why many people feel this way, to me it will always be the most important game in my life, as playing it as a young boy made me the gamer I am today.

It was not the first game that I played as a child, but it was the first game that made me appreciate games as more than just something to do on a rainy afternoon. I was hooked and spent hours immersed in this vast new world, always eager to see where the story would take me next. However the overcomplicated mechanics of the game baffled me as a child and so I would never get very far without getting stuck on one of the games many bosses, but this only meant I played it more, forever trying to beat it. Playing the game in my teens I finally fully understood how the game worked and had the capacity to finish it, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. The game meant so much to me at this point that I did not want it to end.

This summer I finally decided to bring my lifelong quest to an end and finish this game. Playing it again, I began to understand why so many people dislike it; it is flawed in so many ways with bad characters, a crazy plot and a terrible levelling system yet I still loved every second of it. I will never forget the overwhelming sense of achievement upon defeating the game’s hardest boss after 13 years, a feeling that no other art form but gaming could ever deliver.

Are we finally in the age of the video game ‘auteur’?

Originally a term created to apply to the film industry, the games industry has finally developed far enough to the point where we have multiple well-recognisable auteur figures in the mainstream – but is that all?

Killer obsession: Ranking the Dead by Daylight killers by dateability

Spending Valentine’s Day alone? Why not let yourself be wooed by Behaviour Interactive’s most eligible bachelors and bachelorettes, splattered affectingly in the blood of their victims?

More narrators in video games, please

Baldur’s Gate 3’s narrator proves that narrators are still just as interesting to include as ever; let’s reflect back upon some of the more exceptional ones in recent history

Thirsty Suitors review: Jala Jayaratne’s precious little life

Outrageously funny, desperately horny, and somehow also emotionally mature, Outerloop Games’ debut title will leave your heart pining for more