• Sport
  • University of Manchester women storm to Varsity victory

andrewgeorgeson
2nd October 2012

University of Manchester women storm to Varsity victory

UoM defeat Manchester Metropolitan University 39-7 in clash at Heywood Road

University of Manchester women’s first team eased past Varsity opponents Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU), fulfilling the advertised expectations of being ‘proud, prepared’ and needing ‘no excuse’ for their performance.

Early nerves could have been expected for potentially the biggest match for both sides this season, but this was not the case for the UoM women. They pinned Man Met to their try line for long periods of the first half, Hale crossing the line after just three minutes for her first try of the afternoon.

UoM continued to exert pressure, with a further three tries in the first half-hour from Lockyer, Watson and Hale who picked up her second – an impressive display of dribbling from the halfway line. Watson succeeded with two conversions and this early start looked to put the game out of reach.

Although MMU had chances, they would always struggle to make up the 29-0 half-time deficit. They did have extended spells of pressure in the UoM third, and strong performances from Grey and Bridgeman kept their rivals on their toes. However, the strength of the UoM pack was a constant throughout the game, making turnovers in vital areas in the pitch, particularly within their own 22 when slightly under pressure.

Despite the second half being a far more even affair, it was still the University of Manchester who struck first as Shutter exposed the gaps in Man Met’s defence following a well-worked turn over. UoM’s final try of the night was set up by a strong scrum and the pace of Lockyer, who Man Met struggled to deal with all afternoon. Lockyer eventually passed to Hale who powered over the line for her hat-trick.

Manchester Met did score a consolation try towards the end of the match, after a quick tap penalty allowed Bridgeman to slip through the UoM defence. The result never looked in doubt, with UoM in total control for the 39-7 victory.

University of Manchester captain Katy Mulqueen said: “It was a hard game with it being the first of the season for us, I was really impressed with our performance – even though we had girls playing who’d been away for a year.”

The team will be hoping that this result will not be a flash in the pan, but will act as a catalyst for a quick return to the top division. Mulqueen said “I’m feeling confident about the season. If we keep playing like that then we will win games and hopefully get back into the Premiership.”

“If there’s no legacy to this … what are we doing?”: A love letter to Women’s Football

I’ve always loved football but it hasn’t always been easy … will the 2022 Euros change that for girls nationwide?
5”1 in a giants world: In conversation with Amrisha Kudhail

An interview with Amrisha Kudhail, discussing the excitement building around basketball, her transition from a dance background and advice for those wanting to become involved within the sports industry
Season review for local clubs

Season review for local clubs

A review of the 2021/22 campaign for clubs based in Greater Manchester
One Week Wonders: The Worst Tennis World No. 1s

Inspired by Medvedev’s limited tenure at the number one spot – who else has hold the position for a few short weeks?