jonathan-breen

Appeal after Whitworth Park assault

Police are appealing for information about an assault on a homeless man in Whitworth Park last month

Police are appealing for information after an assault near Oxford Road.

A man was found with life threatening head injuries in Whitworth Park on the night of the 11th September.

Detective Inspector Theresa Carter said: “Since we found this man in a life threatening condition, a number of inquiries have been made to find out what happened.”

When police arrived at the scene around 9pm they discovered the 38 year old man with injuries police believe were caused by a weapon.

The victim, a homeless man, was taken to hospital, where he remains in a stable but critical condition.

“We have been speaking to others who sleep rough in this area,” Det Insp Carter said. “We now believe that he was the victim of a vicious assault and was hit with a weapon.

“I would therefore like to appeal to anyone who was in the park from early evening until 9pm on the 11th September, to come forward and tell us what they saw.

“He was last seen at a day centre on Denmark Road at 11am on the 11th September.

“I would ask that anyone with information calls police as soon as possible.”

Police have asked anyone with information to call them on 0161 856 4146 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

“Come and join us” says Jo Grady at UCU strikes

The General Secretary of the UCU spoke to picketers on the first day of strike action
Christopher Jackson leaves the University of Manchester following racism row

Christopher Jackson has left the University of Manchester after a row with Vice-President Martin Schröder over “institutional racism”
UNISON announces re-ballot over discontent with August pay-award

UNISON, has announced that it will re ballot all of its members about whether to take industrial action
Reclaim the Nightlife cancelled

Reclaim the Nightlife cancelled

Reclaim the Nightlife, the Students’ Union’s all-inclusive club night held in Academy 2 has been cancelled, due to low ticket sales