joe-goggins

5 songs in the field of: the Lib Dem Conference

Joe Goggins suggests the soundtrack to this year’s Liberal Democrat party conference

1. Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word – Elton John

Surely Mr. Clegg’s first port of call when he finally ‘apologised’ before the conference for one of most galling political betrayals in history. He’ll likely have played the Blue version to ensure he remained ‘down with the kids’.

2. Billy Liar – The Decemberists

The line “he drifts to sleep with a moan and a weep” probably best applies to the Lib Dem voters than to the MPs who sold them down the river at their first sniff of power.

3.  Judas – Lady Gaga

At £75 a pop, not even all thirty of Mr. Clegg’s pieces of silver would have afforded him a ticket to Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Ball shows last month. Popjustice described the titular character as ‘repeatedly drawn to awfulness’. Apt.

4. Bruise Violet – Babes in Toyland

Frontwoman Kat Bjelland switches between growling “you were born with glue instead of spine” and menacingly cooing “liar, liar, liar…” amidst typically grungy mid-90s guitar work and racing drums, in a track that could easily serve as official party anthem.

5. Apocalypse Please – Muse

Given that they have let down pretty much everybody who voted for them, the sound of Matt Bellamy wailing “declare this an emergency” over stormy piano could prove appropriate as the Lib Dems are wiped out at the next election.

Joe Goggins

Joe Goggins

Music Editor.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark