niall-harkin

Club Profile: Squash

The Mancunion speaks to committee member Jack Carnill about the University of Manchester Squash Club

What is squash?

“Sometimes described by pros as ‘physical chess’, squash is an athletic and demanding game involving two people in a walled box with racquets and a ball. Players repeatedly hit the ball against the wall, until either the ball bounces twice or is struck out of play. A point is awarded against the player who struck the ball out.”

Is Manchester’s squash team competitive? Who do they compete against?

“Manchester’s first teams boast a national reputation, including men’s and women’s teams in the premier league. The second and third teams play in the northern and north west sections of British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS), competing against rival universities in the region. The squash club scored more BUCS points than any other Manchester team last year, something they are proud of as a society.”

How sociable is the squash club? What else do they do as a society?

“The society is a friendly community, meeting up for a variety of socials such as AU club nights, pub sessions and the occasional curry. We also recently visited the British Grand Prix at SportCity and saw some of the biggest names in world squash, courtesy of the Sports Office at Manchester.”

Is there room and encouragement for players of any ability? Can anyone join?

“Definitely, the teams only make up around a third of all club members, and there are sessions throughout the week for beginners (Monday 7:40pm) and intermediate players (Tuesday 8:20pm) at Sugden Sports Centre.”

Let’s talk about Mary Earps’ World Cup final penalty save: Controversy, backlash, and one big “f*** off”

A World Cup final penalty save and celebration that should have been a joyous moment for a nation. Why the backlash?

Why have Red Bull been so dominant, and what does this dominance mean for Formula 1?

Red Bull have re-emerged as the dominant force in F1. But, what does this mean for their competitors, and F1’s media coverage?

Lancashire cricket team begin home Blast campaign with two wins

Lancashire Lightning start their T20 Blast campaign strongly, knocking out British cricket rivals Lancashire Lightning start their T20 Blast campaign strongly, knocking out British cricket rivals left right and centre. But will the winning streak continue into the summer?

Manchester is purple: UoM vs MMU’s first rugby varsity clash in six years doesn’t disappoint

Against the odds UoM pulled off a stunning derby win against rivals MMU. We give a match break down to see just how they did it.