dana-fowles

We ask, you answer

This week… do you make better friends at school/college or at University?

We’ve all heard the line, ‘They say you make your best friends at University,’ but just how true is this? Dana found out what you thought…

I think you make better friends at Uni; you get to live with them and know them inside out. Plus, Uni is a once in a lifetime experience that can’t be compared to any other. I find that because of this, I can’t really relate to my school friends anymore. A lot has changed!
Emily

This is a tough question! I would probably say at school; you’re with them for longer. Having said that, living with people really helps to form strong bonds.
John

I would say that your closest friendships are formed during your school years. You’re at school longer than you are at Uni.
Annie

I reckon that you make better friends at Uni; you’re adults (supposedly) and are more likely to make the effort to keep in touch. Apparently it’s really common for people to end up living in the place they studied permanently, so you may also be more likely to stay friends for that reason.
Emma

I think you make better friends at school because you grow up together.
Matt

I would definitely vote Uni. You find other likeminded people who are more similar to you than those who you went to school with. Plus, life gets a bit more serious during your Uni years and I think that your friendships tend to reflect that.
Lily

My best friends are my school friends. I know that they will be there for me when I finish Uni, whereas my Uni friends will probably return home once the four years are over.
Ashleigh

I guess it depends on the individual and the people they happen to meet, both at school and at Uni. Personally, I made really good friends at school (who are still really good friends now), but I’ve also made close friends at Uni. For me, it’s a mixture of both.
Becci

As cheesy as it sounds, your friends become more like family at Uni. I find that I am able to tell my Uni friends more than my school friends. At school you sometimes find that you are friends with people because you have to be, but when you start Uni, you are grown up enough to know what qualities you want in a friend and choose accordingly.
Maria

Dana Fowles

Dana Fowles

TWEETING @DanaFowles By day: Lifestyle editor at The Mancunion, aspiring women’s magazine journalist. By night: Lover of gay men and Canal St, prone to believing I am Beyonce on the d floor (embarrassing).

Mindfulness around Christmas

The joys of Christmas are not always felt by everyone. For some, this time of year can be especially hard. So, here is why its important to look after yourself, practise self-care, and have a more mindful Christmas time

Your guide to Manchester’s Christmas Markets

The Lifestyle section gives you our rundown of Manchester’s Christmas Markets, with all our festive top picks, in locations such as Piccadilly Gardens, Market Street, and St Ann’s Square

Handling a Hangover (the Scandinavian way)

A trip to Copenhagen reformed my world view on how to handle a hangover. Scandinavian girls just seem to have got it. So how do British girls get it too?

Empowerment through language: Stop putting yourself down

With Reclaim the Night in mind, the Lifestyle section has decided to unpack how the language we use to address ourselves and others has the power to change our outlook from self-doubt to self-confidence