joe-goggins
22nd October 2012

From the vault: Sonic Youth – Daydream Nation

The legendary outfit’s finest hour changed the face of alternative rock

Originally released: October 1988

Enigma Records

Whilst the quality and inventiveness of Sonic Youth’s output has begun to dwindle in more recent years, their towering influence over present-day rock music remains as strong as ever. The jewel in the band’s considerable crown, 1988’s Daydream Nation, became one of the pioneering albums of the alternative rock movement. It blended the band’s trademark harsh, scuzzy guitars with pop sensibilities to create songs that were simultaneously both catchy and complex, providing a genuine alternative to those disillusioned with a musical scene in thrall to the hard rock posturing of Guns n’ Roses. Despite the record’s sprawling length – it was originally released on four sides of vinyl – it never lacks urgency or experimentation, and as such never loses the listener’s interest. From the spectacular opening gambit of Teen Age Riot – a hypnotic, guitar-driven epic that foreshadowed the pending grunge explosion – to the audacious three-part closer, Trilogy, Daydream Nation calls upon the band’s hat-trick of vocal talents, with contributions from Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo and Kim Gordon all underpinned by the former pair’s unconventional, innovative guitar work, often resulting in a trademark collage of noise. Over twenty years on, Daydream Nation continues to be imitated, but the perfect marriage between the record’s trailblazing instrumentation and provocative lyrical content makes for an atmospheric opus likely never to be repeated.

Joe Goggins

Joe Goggins

Music Editor.