rachel-heward

Stitch and Bitch

Rachel Heward catches up with Lizzy Clark from Knit Soc.

Knit Soc is a recently established society which aims to bring people together who are interested in knitting, crochet and other textile based crafts. It mainly involves sitting in a pub knitting and chatting; in their own words it is a place where people can get together to ‘stitch and bitch’.

They meet bi-weekly in The Ram & Shackle in Fallowfield. I spoke to Lizzy Clark from Knit Soc who said: “We welcome all abilities, even people who have never tried knitting before! We have some supplies for those who are new, but we recommend that people bring their own once they are competent in order to get going on their own projects.”

As well as their regular meetings, Knit Soc are in the process of planning a trip to the Knitting and Stitching show in Harrogate from the 22-25 November. Lizzy said: “This will be a great trip, and a chance to see all sorts of different creative experts, buy exciting materials and learn something new. What better inspiration can there be?”

Knit Soc are also interested in getting involved with the recent phenomenon of Yarnbombing, which is a kind of street art that showcases colourful displays of yarn, wool or fiber instead of paint or chalk. They have currently been helping a local artist on an international project which will be on display in Whitworth Park. Lizzy encourages everyone to “keep your eyes peeled for wool-related shenanigans around the university campus – who knows what Knit Soc will do next?”

Knit Soc are always looking into getting creative with their members, particularly in order to embark on a charitable venture as a group, and welcome all ideas and inspirations. They are open to any suggestions and encourage people to get in touch.

On Friday 26 October Knit Soc embarked upon a knit-a-thon as part of a Student Action campaign. They knitted in the Student Union from 9am-9pm, and had a combined total of 130 hours of knitting between them. They also taught twelve people how to knit, one of which continued for three hours! They were knitting squares to be put together to make blankets for the homeless.

To get involved, search ‘University of Manchester Knit Soc’ on Facebook or head down to one of their meetings. “We are a friendly bunch and always welcome members of any ability, and hopefully we will prove to you that knitting is fun, not just for girls and certainly not just for grannies!”

In conversation with the Feminist Collective: “It’s about making sure that no one’s voice goes unheard”

The Mancunion sat down with the University of Manchester’s Feminist Collective to talk about their society values, their plans for the year ahead, and intersectional feminism

Review: Tiramisu (UMDS)

Tiramisu, which was performed at the University of Manchester SU, is an excellently existential adaptation of Annie Baker’s The Antipodes

Review: Skies in the Cloud (UMDS)

Skies in the Cloud exhibits intimate and ethereal themes, showcasing the talent of UMDS students

Review: Stump (UMDS)

The Mancunion reviews Stum, performed by the University of Manchester Drama Society at The Brewers in Gay Village