dan-king

Top 5: Miscast roles

Dan King takes us on a journey from Gotham City to Middle Earth in this week’s top 5

5. George Clooney- Batman and Robin

Seeing as this is one of the worst movies ever made it may seem harsh to lay the blame with Clooney. It is his worst performance, looking so lacklustre it’s evident he doesn’t want to be in it. However nothing could have saved this abomination.

4. Sofia Coppola- Godfather III

Director Francis Ford Coppola cast his own daughter as the daughter of crime boss Michael Corleone. This proved to be a mistake as her awkward and immature performance contributed to making it the weakest film in the trilogy.

3. Katie Holmes- Batman Begins

A rare misstep by Christopher Nolan, Holmes plays assistant district attorney Rachael Dawes and is clearly out of her depth considering her background in teen soap operas. Unsurprisingly she didn’t reprise the role in The Dark Knight.

2. Kevin Costner- Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

American actor Costner landed the role of the mythical English outlaw but decided not to attempt an English accent. Zero marks for authenticity!

1. Orlando Bloom- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

It’s simple, watch the films and look at his face. His method of acting is to look wistfully into the distance like he’s recalling a particularly good episode of Baywatch. Awful.

Making sense of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl

Film discourse tell us of the sexism embedded within the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope, but does she have real life implications on young women?
Laura Hilliard Interview: “Storytelling is a noble profession”

Cinematographer and film lecturer at the University of Salford, Laura Hilliard, talks about filmmaking, cinematography, and the barriers of the film industry
“When I say I’m a virgin, no one believes me”: The Sisterhood of Mustang

Mustang stunningly captures a notion of female unity, it is distinctive in its relevancy to contemporary feminist movements
Aftersun review: A searingly original debut

Charlotte Well’s directorial debut tackles the fallibility of the parent and the limitations of childhood perspective