samuel-ward
1st February 2013

New: Biffy Clyro – Opposites

The Scottish rockers return with a massive new record – in every sense of the word

The release of Biffy Clyro’s first top ten single, ‘Mountains’, four years ago, marked the beginning of an era of success for the band that’s seen them move from support slots to festival headliners. The polished Only Revolutions followed it as the band’s big breakthrough album, moving towards a more traditional rock sound than previous efforts.

Opposites delivers the classic run-about riffs and bellowing vocals we all know and love but adds the extra level of detail that sets this album apart. ‘Biblical’ is a massive track with plenty of Biffy sing-a-long song writing charm, mixed with trance synths and danceable drum beats.

Opener ‘Different People’, on the other hand, combines the band’s signature guitar sound with a string section. ‘Fog’ sees the band on more experimental form, building into a giant harmony of synths and noise and providing a clear example of how the band have embraced electronic music throughout the record. The variety in this album and the sheer amount of tracks – twenty in total – means there’s plenty of depth to lose yourself in. I’d happily hear the full album played live track for track; a new song emerges as your favourite with every listen.

Each track seems to have its own identity, with trumpets blazing on ‘Spanish Radio’ and funky twang guitar on ‘Trumpet or Tap’, and yet still remains true to the band; who have clearly pushed themselves sonically throughout. Opposites isn’t a giant leap for Scottish kind, but it’s another step towards a new direction that provides compelling evidence that Biffy Clyro’s best days may still lie ahead of them.

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility

bar italia live in Manchester: An embrace from ‘Tracey Denim’ and ‘The Twits’

bar italia gets the crowd ‘punkt’ with a fruitful return at Manchester’s Band on the Wall, sustaining their reputability after two successful albums

Big Foot’s EP ‘Smir’: Is the Activities and Culture Officer’s music any good?

Robbie Beale was elected because of his work with GABS. But how good is his band’s music?