jessica-cusack

Health is for life, not just for (after) Christmas.

There is a trend emerging in the fitness and nutrition world, says Jessica Cusack…

One in which fitness coaches, sportswear brands and nutritionists have rolled into one lean mean fat-busting machine, designed to not just change your body but your life. This new era of health and fitness hopefully spells the end of fad diets and crazes, which have thus far dominated the Noughties. From the cayenne pepper and maple syrup detox (Beyoncé, how could you?!), to the baby-food diet (WTF?), via the masquerading-as-healthy-but-actually-crap Atkins, these fads have left us stressed, toxic and, most tragically, fat.

So thank Our Lord of Celery that a new breed of healthy heroes have come to our rescue. I’m talking about nutritionist and trainer James Duigan, fitness freak Tracey Anderson, and sportswear lifestyle brand Sweaty Betty. These names are just a few which are designed to be a choice for life, not just for January, aiming to make healthy food delicious and simple, exercise effective and manageable, and gym wear that makes you want to actually go to the gym.

Duigan’s ‘Clean and Lean’ lifestyle diet is not revolutionary or groundbreaking, but simple and effective. He preaches the necessity of cutting out processed, fake foods and instead sticking to a diet of clean and natural nutrition which will de-stress your body and your mind, enabling all your hard work at the gym to actually show. Check out the whole plan, including his supplements, exercise regime and workout gear (told ya these guys did the full package) at Bodyism.com.

P.S: he is responsible for supermodel Rosie Huntington-Whiteley’s utterly amazing body, and if that doesn’t convince you then I don’t know what will.

Tracy Anderson is another c’leb trainer – see Gwyneth Paltrow: 40 years old, 2 kids later, and in possession of an incredible figure – and while she too has a nutrition plan very similar to James Duigan’s, Anderson is more known for her gruelling, result-producing workouts. Her books and DVDs are the best place to fully submerge yourself into the healthy thoughts of this lady, who packs a lotta muscle into her teeny-tiny frame. Once again, Anderson places emphasis on a lifestyle change, not just a period of extreme exercise to lose weight quickly, only to pile it all back on again.

And what to wear during this healthy excursion? Sweaty Betty of course. The UK super-brand has transformed itself from a sportswear label (yoga, cycling, running, dancing, gymming, swimming – you name it, they’ve got the threads for it) to a lifestyle label. With their free (yes, free) work out classes in Pilates, yoga, Zumba and circuits to name but a few, SB aim to get every Betty in the UK sweating, in a fun, friendly and stylish environment. Hey, if you’re gonna get gross, you may as well start out looking great.

I, for one, welcome this new crew of health. It’s high time we ditched the short-term fads and started looking after our bodies for the long run. It goes without saying that the effects of this healthy lifestyle are not only visible on your tummy or the number on your dress label, but in your skin, hair, nails and eyes (yes, your eyes can actually glow with health. I’ve seen it.) No doubt this fresh approach bears a strong relationship to the new figures we’re seeing on the red carpet these days. Gone are the days of dangerously thin, Diet-Coke addicted Lindsay Lohans and Nicole Richies, and in come the new stars such as Blake Lively and Rosie H-W. Yes they’re still incredibly slim girls, yes they’re still not the average body type but at least they look healthy, strong and happy as opposed to stressed, skinny and starving.

Jessica Cusack

Jessica Cusack

3rd Year English Literature student who enjoys taking a break from academic writing to explore the more aesthetic things in life… Looking forward to this year on-board The Mancunion as Beauty Editor.

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse