ella-westall

The Art of Tea, Didsbury

Ella Westall recommends curling up for a few hours with coffee, cake, and old books at The Art of Tea

Tucked away down Barlow Moor Road, The Art of Tea is an arty-chic café/bar combined with the Didsbury Village Bookshop. On first impressions, the eclectic collection of chairs and tables and dark wood interior makes for a relaxed and creative mood, and the red sofas are perfect for curling up with a book. Their tea, coffee and cakes all come highly recommended, so you certainly wouldn’t go hungry or thirsty if you were to work here for a few hours!

At the back of the café a few steps lead down into a chaotic second-hand bookshop. Hundreds of Penguin Classics, and some lovely old leather bound editions are piled precariously on every available surface – not only on a maze of mismatched bookcases, but on boxes, chairs and floor-space. If you had the time to trawl through the thousands of volumes there are sure to be many hidden gems, but, as in most second-hand bookshops, finding anything in particular would be tricky.

On a quiet morning The Art of Tea would be a charming place to read or study. When I was there last week, however, most people were discussing their latest reads or socialising over a few drinks, so maybe leave the work behind and spend time with the books (or even some friends).

Book references in Taylor Swift’s songs: Lyrical masterpieces

Taylor Swift has dominated the music industry for over ten years. She has ten original award-winning studio albums, with her most recent one, Midnights, breaking Spotify records. Swift’s love of books is no secret, especially when considering the many books she has recommended over the years. This includes Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney, recently […]

Review: The Leviathan

Witchcraft. Demonic possession. All-knowing entities. these are just a few of the themes to expect in Rosie Andrew’s explosive debut novel

A Bookmark biography: The charity that helps children read

As well as providing all the information you need to know about who Bookmark are, what they do and how you can get involved, the Mancunion interviews Bookmark’s Anna Pickles to ask about all the extra info, plus her favourite book

Books not to fill your stockings with

Not every book should end up in stockings this Christmas – here is just a small selection of the Books that the Mancunion Books section would not want to find in their stockings on Christmas morning