joanna-dryden

Top 5: Red carpet moments

Joanna Dryden’s pick of famous red carpet rockers and shockers.

1. Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears (American Music Awards 2001)

JT and Britney rocked not double, not triple, but quadruple denim at the 2001 American Music Awards. The stuff of fashion nightmares, I’m sure you’ll agree.

Huffington post

2. M.I.A. (Grammys 2009)

Can this woman do no wrong? Well not in my eyes, at least. M.I.A made her bump her best accessory in a sheer House of Holland minidress at the 2009 Grammy awards, where she performed before giving birth a mere 3 days later. What a woman.

ibtimes.com

3. Lady Gaga (VMAs 2010)

Lady Gaga took edible art to whole new levels when she showcased the Franc Fernandez designed meat dress at the VMAs in 2010. The dress received a bemused reception from bloggers and was condemned by PETA. Her rationale behind the dress was that if the ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ laws regarding homosexuals in the US armed forces weren’t overturned, then human beings would be worth ‘no more than the meat on our bones’. It almost makes sense. Almost.

fashionista.com

4. Lil Kim

Staying true to form, Lil’ Kim powered the trashy mermaid look at the 1999 VMAs.  You’ve got to hand it to her, she owned it. Who knew someone was embracing crazy coloured wigs and sea-life chic ten years before Nicki Minaj and Azealia Banks?

people.com

5. Hilary Swank

Hilary Swank was the epitome of glamour in this Guy Laroche dress at the 2005 Oscars. She proves that keeping it simple and classy sometimes really is the best, yet the incredible deep V back has me swooning each time, even 8 years on.

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse