kate-bullivant

The Irish Society

St. Patrick’s Day hosted by the Irish Society at Jabez Clegg

The Irish Society is open to anyone and everyone who has an interest in Irish culture. The main aim of the society is for both Irish and non-Irish students to come together for events including socials, sports, music sessions, concerts and trips away.

I spoke to the Chair Roisin Farrell, who told me more about the society and about their plans for St. Patrick’s Day. Roisin first got involved with the society after attending the St. Patrick’s Day event back in 2011, and has been attending socials ever since. “Socials are at the centre of our society and this year we have organised a number of different events. We had a very successful Christmas ball in Waxy O’Connors in the Printworks this year. We work with various Irish bars in Manchester such as O’Sheas, Waxy O’Connors and St. Kentigens where we hold events ranging from watching sports, open mic nights and the occasional ceilidh.”

The main event in the society’s calendar is St. Patrick’s Day. In previous years the society has celebrated St. Patrick’s Day in various clubs around Manchester including Factory, which was a complete sell-out. “This year, we are holding a massive event in Jabez Clegg in association with RAG and the Manchester Ceilidh Society, called ‘Manchester’s 50 shades of Green’. The night will start off with a live music ceilidh followed by a DJ playing all the classic Irish party tunes. It is a fancy dress event and there will be prizes on the night for the best dressed. We are focusing on making it even more traditional. We are aiming to give both Irish and non-Irish students a taste of traditional Paddy’s day celebrations, promising a great night for all.”

For more information on St. Patrick’s Day celebrations and other socials you can email Roisin at [email protected]

In conversation with the Feminist Collective: “It’s about making sure that no one’s voice goes unheard”

The Mancunion sat down with the University of Manchester’s Feminist Collective to talk about their society values, their plans for the year ahead, and intersectional feminism

Review: Tiramisu (UMDS)

Tiramisu, which was performed at the University of Manchester SU, is an excellently existential adaptation of Annie Baker’s The Antipodes

Review: Skies in the Cloud (UMDS)

Skies in the Cloud exhibits intimate and ethereal themes, showcasing the talent of UMDS students

Review: Stump (UMDS)

The Mancunion reviews Stum, performed by the University of Manchester Drama Society at The Brewers in Gay Village