robert-graham

UoM cricket team prepare for 11th ‘Old Boys’ Day

UMCC to take on old guard at Sale CC

This summer is a big one for cricket, as the Ashes return to England. Before that though, the University of Manchester Cricket Club has its own longstanding rivalry to settle. On Sunday 5th of May the UMCC are hosting two reunion cricket matches in the 11th ‘Old Boys Day’ at Sale CC.

The first match is the Comyn Cup, which started in 2011 and settles the rivalry between current members from t’up North and down South (or Northern Monkeys vs Southern Fairies to quote Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels!). For 2013, a T20 match will be played between 11.00am and 2.00pm to decide the rivalry, with a live loudspeaker commentary to provide stadia experience for spectators. The winners will proudly boast their name on the silver tankard.

After tea, the second game takes place as a team of current members will take on the UMCC Old Boys (Old Bees CC). This annual event has occurred for more than a decade. The Old Boys bring a fantastic club atmosphere for all to revel in and feel proud of its history.

After play has finished, a carvery dinner will take place in the clubhouse, including a mystery speaker and auction to raise money for the club. On offer are the signatures of great sportsmen such as Andrew Flintoff, David Beckham and Johnny Wilkinson; not to be missed!

In other cricket news, the Armitage ground will soon be undergoing serious renovation. Alongside a new astro-turf strip, the square is to be totally refurbished, and there are plans for state of the art covers to be purchased to ensure the quality of the ground. The Firrs pavilion will undergo a serious upgrade over the next year and if all goes to plan the scoring hut will also be upgraded accordingly. This investment from the University is thanks to the ongoing success of the UMCC on and off the field.

There has never been a better time to join the UMCC if you want to play quality cricket with a welcoming atmosphere. The UMCC offers 7 teams to cater for all standards, competing with the likes of Durham, Loughborough and Leeds University and has indoor tournaments during the winter. This June, two teams are touring Sri Lanka to play on test grounds and train with international cricketers. This pro-active club offers something to members all year round. Old and new members will be keeping track on the tour and Ashes simultaneously as cricket reclaims the summer once again!