beth-currall

Travel Guide: Barcelona

Beth Currall reports back on her late summer break in Spain’s second largest city.

Whether it’s sight-seeing that you love, visiting some of the best night clubs in Europe, or chilling out on a sunny Mediterranean beach, Barcelona is the ultimate holiday destination for students. With every nook and cranny of the city filled with architectural wonder and historical anecdotes, there is plenty to explore. Low budget airlines offer return flights starting from as little as £40 meaning this is one trip you can gain invaluable experiences from, without breaking the bank.

The city is packed with a wealth of tourist attractions so hop on a tour bus and discover some of the amazing sights that Barcelona has to offer, (trust me, it’s pretty difficult to navigate yourself to the Sagrada Familia when suffering from Barca’s vodka-induced hangover). Be enlightened by Gaudi’s breath-taking architecture, and take a walk around Park Guell where you’ll find some more of his work. Football lovers can get off the bus at the famous Camp Nou and enjoy a tour around the stadium; alternatively, shopaholics will fall in love with Diagonal Avenue, where the commercial centre comes complete with its very own Primark! However, the best way to get an authentic experience of Barcelona is to stroll around yourself: take to the Gothic Quarter and the neighbourhood of Eixample, or rent a bicycle and make your own way to the beach. Just ensure that you keep all your belongings close by, as pickpocketing in the city is a common crime.

Barcelona has possibly the craziest nightlife in Spain, so be sure not to miss out on this during your trip. Port Olympic boasts some of the best night clubs around, especially the likes of Opium Mar and Catwalk. Discover Razzmatazz, named as the only superclub in Barcelona, and one of the best places to party in Europe. One tip would be enough to get you on the guest list or you can find out the door code to bag free entry and save up to €20.

So if you want a summer holiday full of memories and experiences that will stay with you forever, forget about Malia or Ibiza, Barcelona is definitely the place to be. If there’s one thing I can guarantee, you won’t have a dull moment there.

Mindfulness around Christmas

The joys of Christmas are not always felt by everyone. For some, this time of year can be especially hard. So, here is why its important to look after yourself, practise self-care, and have a more mindful Christmas time

Your guide to Manchester’s Christmas Markets

The Lifestyle section gives you our rundown of Manchester’s Christmas Markets, with all our festive top picks, in locations such as Piccadilly Gardens, Market Street, and St Ann’s Square

Handling a Hangover (the Scandinavian way)

A trip to Copenhagen reformed my world view on how to handle a hangover. Scandinavian girls just seem to have got it. So how do British girls get it too?

Empowerment through language: Stop putting yourself down

With Reclaim the Night in mind, the Lifestyle section has decided to unpack how the language we use to address ourselves and others has the power to change our outlook from self-doubt to self-confidence