beth-currall

Travel Guide: Barcelona

Beth Currall reports back on her late summer break in Spain’s second largest city.

Whether it’s sight-seeing that you love, visiting some of the best night clubs in Europe, or chilling out on a sunny Mediterranean beach, Barcelona is the ultimate holiday destination for students. With every nook and cranny of the city filled with architectural wonder and historical anecdotes, there is plenty to explore. Low budget airlines offer return flights starting from as little as £40 meaning this is one trip you can gain invaluable experiences from, without breaking the bank.

The city is packed with a wealth of tourist attractions so hop on a tour bus and discover some of the amazing sights that Barcelona has to offer, (trust me, it’s pretty difficult to navigate yourself to the Sagrada Familia when suffering from Barca’s vodka-induced hangover). Be enlightened by Gaudi’s breath-taking architecture, and take a walk around Park Guell where you’ll find some more of his work. Football lovers can get off the bus at the famous Camp Nou and enjoy a tour around the stadium; alternatively, shopaholics will fall in love with Diagonal Avenue, where the commercial centre comes complete with its very own Primark! However, the best way to get an authentic experience of Barcelona is to stroll around yourself: take to the Gothic Quarter and the neighbourhood of Eixample, or rent a bicycle and make your own way to the beach. Just ensure that you keep all your belongings close by, as pickpocketing in the city is a common crime.

Barcelona has possibly the craziest nightlife in Spain, so be sure not to miss out on this during your trip. Port Olympic boasts some of the best night clubs around, especially the likes of Opium Mar and Catwalk. Discover Razzmatazz, named as the only superclub in Barcelona, and one of the best places to party in Europe. One tip would be enough to get you on the guest list or you can find out the door code to bag free entry and save up to €20.

So if you want a summer holiday full of memories and experiences that will stay with you forever, forget about Malia or Ibiza, Barcelona is definitely the place to be. If there’s one thing I can guarantee, you won’t have a dull moment there.

Getting involved: Volunteering at the Booth Centre

Getting involved in volunteering can help you feel more connected to Manchester and support the local community, here’s one writer’s experience

‘An audio treat’: The Mancunion’s favourite podcasts

Whether you’re looking to keep up with current affairs, celebrity gossip or even Formula 1, we’ve got you covered with our top pick of podcasts

A ‘quarter-life crisis’?: Finding your feet after a break-up

Do you feel like you are experiencing a ‘quarter-life crisis’ in your final year? Have you experienced a break-up? Read on to find out how you can find your feet in these (perhaps not so) difficult times

Little luxuries that make uni life more bearable

Treat yourself! Life as a university student isn’t always easy, but some things can make it that little bit more enjoyable