lowell-clarke
31st October 2013

Top 5 Songs… with samples.

Lowell Clarke selects his top 5 sampling tracks.

1. Kanye West – ‘Power’

He started his career producing beats for Jay-Z and it’s still his strongest point. Who’d ever think to put classics ‘21st Schizoid Man’ and ‘Afromerica’ together?

2. Washed Out – ‘Feel It All Around’

Ernest Greene singing over slowed down 80s songs helped kick start the chillwave genre and made some of the chillest songs imaginable in the process.

3. Puff Daddy – ‘Come With Me’

The butchering of Led Zep’s ‘Kashmir’ might make your Dad cry, but there’s no denying the epic size and intensity of this beat.

4. Four Tet – ‘Kool FM’

From the newly-released Beautiful Rewind, this is a stop-start jungle beat affair. A tribute to pirate radio, complete with compressed MC “HEY HEY HEY” samples.

5. DJ Shadow – ‘Midnight In A Perfect World’

For any of you who still doubt that sampling is an art form, look no further. This track is sublimely beautiful. Just give it a listen.

In conversation with Fergus McCreadie

Fergus McCreadie talks improvisation, inspirations and recording ahead of his headline show at Band on the Wall

boygenius return with three new singles ahead of the release of the record

Triple threat boygenius return with an equal triple threat of singles, their first since 2018

Jsky: Célfie – A new force to be reckoned with

Manchester-based artist Jsky’s latest EP ‘Célfie’ is released on Valentines Day so prepare for the best

Party Like Gatsby will see the O2 Ritz turned into a 1920s speakeasy

Party Like Gatsby returns to O2 Ritz after three long years with Soirée Royale – its biggest party yet!