• Brian Cox endorses £3 million RNCM campaign

inez-dawoodjee

Brian Cox endorses £3 million RNCM campaign

Physicist Brian Cox has added his voice in support of RNCM’s renovation campaign

Pop star- turned- physicist Professor Brian Cox has added his support to a campaign to renovate the Royal Northern College of Music’s Concert Hall into a state- of- the- art venue.

The College’s Concert Hall’s revitalisation will allow more music to be showcased, by both professional artists and students alike.

Broadcast journalist John Suchet is also lending his names as a Champion of the ‘Your RNCM’ campaign.

The £3 million campaign is set to begin in January as part of an ambitious £6 million project conducted by the College to better student experience.

It includes the installation of new equipment like air-conditioning and heating systems.   The Concert Hall will also be expanded to seat 750 and is to be equipped with a balcony and a raised floor area.

Professor Cox said: “I am proud to feel part of Manchester’s rich cultural landscape and I love the RNCM building; it is an inspiration to both visitors and students.

“The transformation planned for the Concert Hall is very exciting and I am delighted to support the Your RNCM campaign.”

In September this year RNCM received an award of £ 2.8 million from the Higher Education Funding Council to help renovate and redesign spaces at the College in order to cater for the increasingly diverse teaching styles.

Beethoven expert and presenter for Classical FM John Suchet said: “It’s been a joy presenting Beethoven at the RNCM twice in the last year. Students past and present are an inspiration to work with.”

He added, “It’s good to know that the future of classical music is safe in their hands. I wish the RNCM the very best of luck with the development of the Concert Hall, and look forward to talking Beethoven again in the fabulous new Hall.”

Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.
Manchester out of the running for Eurovision 2023

Liverpool and Glasgow go head-to-head as Manchester misses out on hosting Eurovision 2023.
Who are Liz Truss’ new Education Ministers?

On September 9, Liz Truss PM promptly appointed two new Ministers for Higher Education. Who are they and what are their intentions?