jonathan-breen

Coke back in Students’ Union

No motion to continue the Union’s ban on the product was submitted

Coca-Cola is back on sale in the University of Manchester Students’ Union shop after six years of being banned.

The controversial soft-drink became available again last month, after no motion to continue its ban was submitted to student assemblies.

The product was pulled from shelves following a policy backed by a strong campaign against the company in 2007.

Student’s Union policies last for three years, a motion to continue the policy was passed in 2010.

Other drinks owned by The Coca-Cola Company include Fanta, Five Alive, Dr Pepper, and Evian water.

The Students’ Union said in a statement, “The Students’ Union ‘Staying Ethical’ policy, which included the Coca-Cola boycott, lapsed on Monday 20th October 2013.

“Students’ Union policies last for three years in order to ensure there is a higher democratic legitimacy given to current students, rather than students who may have left three years ago. As there have been no ideas brought forward to assemblies asking the union to carry on with the boycott, the Students’ union took the decision to reinstate the supply of highly popular Coca-Cola products in Union outlets.”

A motion for all expiring Students’ Union policy to be automatically resubmitted to Assembly was discussed at assemblies last week and will go to an all-student vote to take place from November 22 to 29.

Other policies that expired last month include the Students’ union officially supporting the right to education in Palestine, a significant and widely-talked-about issue for Manchester students when passed.