aidan-gregory

Student arrested for rape exonerated

UoM student was accused of raping another student in her halls of residence

All charges have been dropped against Manchester student arrested in May last year on suspicion of raping another student in her Whitworth Park Halls of Residence flat.

In a statement, Greater Manchester Police announced that ‘this suspect was released from bail on 10th January and no further action will be taken against him.”

The alleged rape was said to have taken place after a night out at popular student nightclub, Factory.

At the time of the arrest, Greater Manchester Police caused a storm of controversy and criticism when they released the suspect’s image on Facebook. Shortly after it was taken down, but already the image had been viewed on computer screens across the campus and had even made ITV News.

In an interview with The Tab, the acquitted student said, ‘I’m unbelievably emotionally relieved to be able to go back to feeling like a normal person, and carry on my life without having all this lingering over me.’

UoM’s Chancellor finds institutional discrimination in new London Fire Brigade report

in a leaked report, The University of Manchester’s Chancellor, Nazir Afzal OBE, has found the London Fire Brigade to be institutionally racist and misogynistic
“Whose streets? Our streets” chants echo during Reclaim the Night

This years Reclaim the Night protest saw hundreds of students marching from Fallowfield to the Students Union in protest of gender-based violence
How to claim the University of Manchester’s cost-of-living payment

All full-time students at the University of Manchester are eligible for £170 payments for the cost-of-living crisis, here’s how you can claim yours…
University Watch November: What’s going on around the UK?

A round-up of some of the big news from other Universities in the UK this November