Looking for an outrageous romantic gesture of simply looking to consoling yourself this Valentine’s Day? Either way, these muffins fit the bill every time.
Makes approximately 6 muffins
• 100g ground almonds
• 30g plain flour
• 115g butter (softened)
• 3 egg whites
• 130g icing sugar
• Zest of 2 lemons
• 100g frozen raspberries
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius or 180 degrees Celsius (fan).
2. Line a muffin tin with a little butter and melt the rest.
3. Sift the flour and icing sugar together in a bowl then add the almonds and combine the ingredients.
4. Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl and when they begin to form soft peaks add to the other bowl along with the zest and melted butter and gently fold together.
5. Put a dollop of each mixture into the muffin tin and squash about 3 raspberries in the centre leaving them half visible.
6. Bake for 25 minutes and leave in the tins for a while before turning out to cool. The raspberries will become syrupy in the muffin making them light and moist.