james-moules

Top 5: Tarantino characters who should have been played by a different actor

James gives us his Inglorious Casters

5. Denzel Washington as Ordell Robbie (Jackie Brown)

Samuel L. Jackson is fantastic as a psychotic arms dealer in this movie, but we know from movies like Training Day that Denzel plays villains rather well – I would love to have seen him take on this role. Though for the record, no one, but no one, could replace Jackson in Pulp Fiction.

4. Tom Hiddleston as Lt Archie Hicox (Inglourious Basterds)

Michael Fassbender did a good job playing the ill-fated British officer in Tarantino’s WWII “Western,” but Tom Hiddleston is a far better match for a stereotypical English gentleman. It would also have been great to see Fassbender in the role of Major Hellstrom – the bar scene would have reached new levels of brilliance.

3. Jack Nicholson as Calvin Candie (Django Unchained)

In the original screenplay for Django Unchained, the character of Calvin Candie was a much older man than he ended up being in the film. When I read it, all I could imagine was a Deep South version of Nicholson’s villainous turn in The Departed. Now how awesome would that have been? (Sorry Leo).

2. Steve Buscemi as Jimmie (Pulp Fiction)

It’s a cliché to point out that Tarantino can’t act (quite frankly it’s a cliché to say it’s a cliché), so I shall not dwell on that point. What I will say is that this kind of whiney, perpetually complaining character is perfect for Buscemi – think about Reservoir Dogs.

1. Matthew McConaughey as Lt Aldo Raine (Inglourious Basterds)

Surely I can’t be the only one to have thought of this? As great as Brad Pitt was in the role, just imagine how epic Aldo Raine’s opening speech would be if it were delivered by Mr Southern Charm himself.

Cosy up with Backyard Cinema this Autumn

A preview of Backyard Cinema, the immersive movie experience coming to Manchester this Autumn.
Comfort Films and TV shows to cure the freshers blues

Freshers week and moving to university can be a daunting experience even for the most excited fresher so The Mancunion’s On-screen team have got a list of the films and TV shows they turn to for comfort when feeling blue!
Cannes 2022: Armageddon Time and understanding your privilege

James Gray’s Armageddon Time is a heartbreaking story of a young boy who begins to understand his privilege growing up in 1980s New York.
Cannes 2022: Triangle of Sadness and ridiculing the rich

Palme-d’Or-winning Triangle of Sadness is a wild, cynical satire ridiculing the rich in all possible ways.