will-kelly

No foiling around with Fencing

One of the University of Manchester’s newest of competitive teams, the fencing team, have proven to be no pushovers. Entered into a national beginners’ competition, they certainly started off well with a number of fencers finishing in the last 16. To have such a great start was fantastic, but the team has rapidly built on […]

One of the University of Manchester’s newest of competitive teams, the fencing team, have proven to be no pushovers.

Entered into a national beginners’ competition, they certainly started off well with a number of fencers finishing in the last 16. To have such a great start was fantastic, but the team has rapidly built on this success with the women’s first and men’s second team working hard to finish second in their respective leagues. On the national front, the University of Manchester took the sport by storm with Indy Leclercq finishing third at the Uhlmann Trophy and Jennifer Schofield finishing second at the Leeds Open. Speaking to captain Matt Hunter, a 3rd year studying physics, he reveals that Jennifer had to beat Catriona Sibert to make it into the final: a fencer in the top 10 in the UK in the women’s foil.

Asked on the aims of the season, Matt appears determined to improve on what was already an impressive season and is looking to expand and incorporate as many new members as possible. Those interested should contact [email protected] or visit the University of Manchester Fresher’s Fair where they will be situated at stand 8. Despite the fantastic competitiveness the University has shown, Matt assures me that the club is very much open for new members of all abilities: “We take pride in being open to new members. The university fencing club is full of friendly, welcoming people who spend as much time in the pub as on the piste! It’s a great sport to take up, it’s fun, improves mental and physical agility and provides a great ‘alternative’ work out”, he said.

The University of Manchester do battle. Photo: Julian Wakefield