Album: Yellowcard – Lift a Sail

Shabab Tahsin looks at Yellowcards ninth studio album and asks if their new sound is dragging them down

Released October 7th

Razor & Tie

6.5/10

The Florida based pop-punk band Yellowcard released their new album Lift a Sail on their new record label Razor & Tie on October 7th, featuring what seems to be a rather different adaptation from their earlier sound, although vocalist Ryan Key’s punk vocals still soar just as they did during Ocean Avenue days.

This album is a more personal adaptation of the things going on in the band members’ personal lives with Ryan Key dedicating beautiful singles like ‘One Bedroom’ and ‘Madrid’ to his wife and ‘My Mountain’ to his departed Grandfather. This is the first album not featuring the band’s longtime drummer Longineu Parsons III, but the new drummer performs just fine with some crashing drum patterns on songs like ‘Transmission Home’—mixed with some soaring guitar riffs, it is definitely a recipe for a good rock song. Overall, the album’s sound is rather catchy and beautiful and surely a new turn for the the band’s long adapted alternative/pop-punk sound. The opening song ‘Convocation’ is quite interesting with violinist Sean Mackin taking the lead and again on ‘MSK’ which consisted of mainly violin and some electro synth keys work.

Up to this point the album is a rather evolved expression of the band’s musicality. Featuring heavy riffs on songs like ‘Crash The Gates’ and ‘Illuminate’, a feature that is popular with the band’s way of playing but in a different, new perspective. Memphis May Fire vocalist Matty Mullins provides guest vocals on ‘The Deepest Wall’. Both singers coordinate very well with vocals exchanged during the song. Guitarist Ryan Mendez’s commendable work manifests in the nicely anticipated built up to his solo in ‘One Bedroom’. So far the candidate for the crowd pleasing sing along song seems to be ‘Make Me So’.

The album has its drawbacks as well such as in ‘Fragile and Dear’ the lengthy running time makes it feel like its dragging. Eventually it can be concluded the tracks are of a slower tempo with a fair amount of ballads. It is a new turn for their sound which is bound to bring their audience back for more.

Party Like Gatsby will see the O2 Ritz turned into a 1920s speakeasy

Party Like Gatsby returns to O2 Ritz after three long years with Soirée Royale – its biggest party yet!

Album review: Maja Lena pushes her musical boundaries on PLUTO

Maja Lena’s winning combination of folk drawing on electronic elements transports us to an imagined planet

Mogwai: “I feel our music, to the music world, is like a Louis Theroux documentary”

The Mancunion talk to Mogwai’s Barry Burns about the band’s 25 year career, spanning powerful live shows and soaring film scores

Pop for a Dying Planet: CMAT shares new single Mayday

A deep dive into the latest track, ‘Mayday’, from Irish singer-songwriter and rising star CMAT