josephine-harrington

Recipe: Leek and Black Pudding Tart

Josephine Harrington guides us through the stages of cooking a Leek and Black Pudding Tart

Tarts are a great summer recipe, easy to make (especially if you have bought the pastry!) and they look fabulous. Black pudding is a favorite of mine at the moment, some people think it is a bit gruesome but personally I love the taste, even more so mixed with the sweet gently cooked leeks. Winning combo!

Ingredients:

– Leeks

– Black pudding

– Eggs

– Milk

– Creme fraiche

– Oil

– Pepper

– Grated cheese

– Shortcrust pastry (or shop bought if you’d like to cheat – it works perfectly!)

Preparation time: One hour

Method:

Start by heating a generous glug of oil in a frying pan. Add two washed and sliced leeks and allow to stew gently for 15 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes until the leeks are soft and sweet. While the leeks are cooking, line a tart dish which shortcrust pastry and turn the oven on to 190ºC. Make the filling by mixing two whole eggs, two egg yolks, 100ml of milk, 100ml of creme fraiche, 100g of cheese (which ever flavour takes your fancy but cheddar does work well) and season with a little salt and pepper. Once the leek mixture is cooked and cooled slightly mix with the egg and spoon into the pastry. Top with cut pieces of black pudding-in whichever pattern desired and cook for 45 minutes. Serve with salad leaves.

Not just another New Year deal: A review of Lucky Ramen

Offering 50% off from Monday to Wednesday, Lucky Ramen is the perfect student spot to try this semester

Rusholme’s finest sandwich is the Kurdish shawarma at Al-Zain

This Curry Mile favourite serves shawarma and beautifully fresh salad in freshly baked bread, and its affordable food is some of Manchester’s best

Pancake day: Two recipes to enjoy on February 13

February 13 is the traditional Pancake Day, so here are two recipes and some inspiration for making and enjoying some pancakes, either with your housemates, friends or on your own

A foodie’s guide to celebrating Chinese New Year in Manchester

2024, the Year of the Dragon – here are all of our recommendations for where to celebrate in style in Manchester