patrick-hinton

Club: Fever 105 presents Greg Wilson

The cavernous space of Club Academy dampens the expertise of Greg Wilson

22nd January

Club Academy

6/10

Fever 105 provided the opportunity for Manchester students to celebrate the end of exams in style by booking Hacienda legend Greg Wilson for a 3 hour set.

Herbert Benson of duo Voyeur opened the night and attempted to kick off the party feeling with a varied set ranging from house to hip hop. His mixing capabilities shone through in selections such as Moodymann’s Chic sampling ‘I Can’t Kick This Feeling When It Hits’ and Missy Elliott’s ‘Work It’.

Unfortunately the size of the venue wasn’t conducive to a strong atmosphere, the turnout by no means filling the space making it feel particularly cavernous.

Greg Wilson’s arrival saw him spin numerous classics from the Hacienda days with a sprinkling of more modern tracks. Wilson showed he is fully deserving of his title of ‘King of the Edit’ when drawing for his excellent reinterpretation of Amerie’s ‘1 Thing’. Throughout the set his extensive knowledge of funk, soul and disco shone through as he induced euphoric jigging with the likes of The Bangles’s ‘Walk Like An Egyptian’, Sister Sledge’s ‘He’s The Greatest Dancer’ and Talking Heads’s ‘Once In A Lifetime’.

The Stone Roses’s ‘Fool’s Gold’ provided another highlight, as an icon of the Manchester scene it was only right that he would delve into the city’s rich musical heritage. However, the open space of the venue continued to impact the collective vibe of the night. It was enjoyable but didn’t excel into feeling anything more than that despite an expert set of fine selections throughout.

The Girls Aloud Show: A touching return from a legendary girl group

After over ten years away from the stage, pop sensation Girls Aloud bring their reunion tour to Manchester’s AO Arena

Live at Leeds in the Park preview: Ringing in the north’s festival season

Live at Leeds returns once again for 2024 – find out all you need to know here!

Adrianne Lenker live in Manchester: Beauty in simplicity from a generational talent

Big Thief frontperson Adrianne Lenker brought her solo show to Castlefield’s Aviva Studios, gifting the audience simple snippets of grace and serenity

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions