anon
2nd February 2015

MDMYay or MDMNay?

An anonymous contributor asks whether party drugs are really worth it

Upon reflection, my entire life, and perhaps yours too (along with most citizens of the over-medicated West) has been an alarmingly constant binge, a towering list of one drug-addled rampage after the next. At age five I was the kid on a North West London street corner swigging Calpol from a brown paper bag. I’ve smoked enough weed to realise that I’m boring on it. I’ve blacked out drunk more times than I can remember. Most terribly, I’m also sorely dependent on caffeine. Then there are the painkillers: Ibuprofen, Tramadol and Codeine. Class acts, all of the above, but none of them Class A.

Then came a post-exams blitz, as a two-week slog of work came to an end and students began again to do what students do best.

At a night out, I took two doses of MDMA. This was my first ever contact with ‘party drugs’ but I wasn’t worried since I knew all my good friends were having it too. This is not a total damnation of the drug—for all I know the dealer mixed our stuff with Speed and Ricin—but merely a self-reflective exercise that will maybe make some people approach drugs like MDMA with more caution. After forty-five minutes I began to feel definite effects, and from midnight until three (roughly when I had more of it) I was convinced that I was having the best night of my life. I was a space Communist riding out into oblivion with my best friends and loving every second, in perfect harmony with the music (blatantly I wasn’t though) and my species. We stayed until the party broke apart and I felt pretty much fine.

From there I went to three separate houses, mainly because I wanted to be among company during the dreaded comedown I’d heard so much about. Sweats, shakes and paranoia were taking hold. Under the influence of this new and confusing drug I was consuming anything that people suggested would make me feel better, including beer, weed, serotonin replacement pills and herbal tea. None of it helped. I was pacing and stuttering like a cannibal. Long story short, myself and a friend ended up in A&E at around 2pm having not slept whatsoever, and I had blood tests and an ECG which revealed my heart rate to be a steady 160bpm. Most adults have a resting heart rate between 60 – 100bpm.

Pins and needles, facial numbness, uncontrolled limb movements, chest pains and incredible difficulty breathing were my main symptoms. Constant thirst, nausea and sleep-deprived delirium added to the horror. After several hours of attentive care from my friend and the hospital staff, who put me on a drip and did their best to sedate me, I was allowed to go home that night. After a spasmodic fourteen-hour sleep I was fine.

Since then I have carefully weighed up my two very different experiences of MDMA. Negative was considerably heavier on the scale, and based upon this I will never take it again.

Come back next week for ‘My First Ether Binge’, which I’m off to research now.

Summer in suburbia: Six tips to reset at home

Moving back home from university for the summer can be hard, which is why we’re giving you six tips for combating the summer blues.

Lifestyle Loves: Chorlton

Tired of Fallowfield’s grimy vape-littered streets? Thought so. Lifestyle is here to help, giving you the run-down of our favourite place in Manchester’s prettiest south suburb: Chorlton!

Anxiety, time and I: Refusing to give up happy moments for a deadline

Once again, I have deadlines and feel like I’m running out of time. But, in feeding into my subconscious guilt, am I wasting more time?

Club Lash: An inclusive space for everyone to explore their sexuality freely in Manchester

A spotlight on the North West’s #1 Fetish Club, a historically significant and essential space for people of all genders and sexualities to meet safely and explore their fantasies together