aidan-gregory

Students’ Union to undergo £6 million refurbishment

The project will involve expanding both the North and South wings of the building, and upgrading the building’s utilities

The University of Manchester Students’ Union is set to undergo a dramatic refurbishment, as part of the University of Manchester’s 2020 Campus Master Plan—which aims to create a world-class campus on one site by the end of the decade.

The project’s aim is to improve by structure and quality of the building, by upgrading the toilets, and repairing water and electricity functions.

It will also involve expanding the North and South wings of the building outwards, so that more space is created for student activities and for societies to meet.

The Students’ Union has been granted £6000000 in funding for the project, which is scheduled to commence in January 2016 with an estimated completion early 2017—students in second and third year will therefore not see the completion of the project.

In an interview with a representative of UMSU, The Mancunion asked what the aims of the redevelopment are.

In response, the representative said: “The Students’ Union is one of the cornerstone elements of delivering a campus that provides an excellent student experience. With services ranging from advice, representation at course and institution level, residences, widening participation, clubs and societies, and social events, the Students’ Union aims to become the ‘Living Room of the Campus’.

“The University Master Plan, 2020 Vision and the Students’ Union Strategy are aligned to provide not only a single campus, but also to ensure that Manchester continues to be one of the top rated institutions.

“The Students’ Union is at the heart of campus life and with 1 in 3 students at the University of Manchester currently engaged in one of our activities, our goal is that every student benefits from the Union.”

The Mancunion also asked how management intend to ensure that current students are not affected by the construction process.
In response, the UMSU representative said: “With all projects of this size and scope, there will always be a degree of disruption. However, we are working closely with the university and the Design Team to ensure that there is minimal impact and that our current services and activities are not affected.”

Reacting to the announcement of the plans, Charlie Cook, General Secretary of UMSU, said: “This is an exciting, transformative time which will mean we are able to deliver what our students want from their Students’ Union.

“By extensive consultation we aim to make the SU a home away from home for our members; creating opportunities and developing skills which complement their academic commitments.”