dan-whiteley

Preview: Gigantic Indie All Dayer, Vol. 2

Echo & The Bunnymen are set to spearhead the Academy’s second all indie, all day festival

23rd May

Academy 1/Academy 2/Club Academy

£29

Following the success of last year’s inaugural event—which featured the likes of The Wedding Present, Cud and The Chameleons—the Gigantic Indie All Dayer returns to Manchester Academy on 23rd May, with this year’s edition set to dwarf the original in both in terms of scale and the eye-watering roster of seminal indie bands on the bill.

Headlining the Academy 1 main stage are Liverpool alt rock legends Echo & The Bunnymen, whose set comes hot on the heels of their 30th anniversary shows for their landmark album Ocean Rain. Fronted by the enigmatic Ian McCulloch, the indie elder statesmen are sure to deliver a spectacular performance filled with classic (and hugely influential tracks) such as ‘Lips Like Sugar’, ‘The Killing Moon’, and ‘Bring on the Dancing Horses’, as well as cuts from 2014’s critically lauded Meteorites.

Manchester’s own Inspiral Carpets will also bring their unique brand of trippy, psychedelic tunes to the main stage, after releasing their comeback self-titled album last year—their first in two decades. Armed with timeless Madchester grooves and soaring choruses, the Inspirals are sure to take Academy 1 back to the second summer of love with the likes of ‘This Is How It Feels’ and ‘Caravan’.

Industrial rockers Pop Will Eat Itself will be performing an exclusive greatest hits set which will have you digging them all over again, whilst Leeds post-punk originators Gang of Four are set grace the stage with their danceable blend of aggressive punk that effortlessly tread the line between anthemic and experimental. This all to come, after reformed Britpop outfit Hurricane #1 and cult jangle poppers The Primitives (best known for their irresistible 1988 single ‘Crash’) start off the proceedings in inimitable style.

And that’s just the main stage—with another full day’s worth of performances each two other stages, there’s something for everyone’s old school indie tastes on offer this year. Amongst the other highlights are Diesel Park West, performing their much loved Shakespeare Alabama record in full in Academy 2, before a headline performance from reformed baggy stalwarts The High. Club Academy, meanwhile, will host appearances from such big names as BOB, Mark Morris and Echobelly.

With all this and more—including special guest DJs for each of the three stages—the second Gigantic Indie All Dayer is the only place you’ll get to see such a mix of legendary acts together in one place, and is the ideal way for any indie music fan to start off their summer festival season.

Liam Gallagher and John Squire live in Manchester: ‘Growing old disgracefully’ in the best way possible

Oasis’ Liam Gallagher teams up with boyhood guitar hero John Squire of The Stone Roses to deliver psychedelic raucousness in Manchester

This Feeling live in Manchester: Rivia, The Stride, and Kyris take Off the Square

META – This Feeling’s latest Manchester outing showcases three guitar bands with big futures

86TVs live in Manchester: Headline debut in the city lights up the Deaf Institute

86TVs made their Manchester headline debut at The Deaf Institute, showcasing their new EP and unreleased material

Master Peace live at Night and Day: How To Make a Tour

The genre-bending, ‘indie sleaze revivalist’ brings his electrifying ‘How to Make a Tour’ set to Manchester’s Night and Day