aj-mal

Kick the Habit with Stoptober

Make a change for the better this October with the help of The Mancunion!

Lingering smells, brown teeth and fingers, and less money in your pocket. There have never been more reasons and more ways to give up smoking. As well as the obvious benefits to anyone standing nearby, giving up could reduce the risk of heart disease, gum disease, and cancer.

Whilst smoking has been banned from bars and clubs, this has led to some rather appealing outdoor smoking spaces and pub gardens. However, there is no need to avoid these as they can be a lovely place for an alfresco drink or meal on the odd sunny Manchester day—it does happen!

The fantastic Stoptober campaign offers help and advice in stopping smoking. This year’s campaign features a variety of well known comedians, including Al Murray, Shappi Korsandi, and University of Manchester Medical School graduate, Lee Nelson (Simon Brodkin).

As well as television adverts, there will be live comedy performances, roadshows and a website full of tips on how to kick the habit. Advice includes ways to make giving up easier, including nicotine patches. Taking up a new hobby is also recommended as a way to keep your hands and mind occupied, with suggestions including waving at friends or making heavy metal hand signs!

If you and a few of your friends wanted to get involved, evidence has proven that ‘social quitting’ can dramatically improve your chances of successfully stopping for good. In fact, you’re 36 per cent more likely to quit if your friend does with you. On the flip side, the research also shows that you are 61 per cent more likely to smoke if your boyfriend, girlfriend, or best friend does, showing the powerful effect that your peers have on your own smoking behaviour.

Over a quarter of a million people across the country signed up to Stoptober last year with more than half making it to 28 days. This year, it is expected the campaign will welcome the millionth sign up. By stopping smoking for 28 days you are five times more likely to stop for good.

So check out the campaign for help to quit, and a lot of laughs at the same time, and let’s make this a successful and smoke free Stoptober!

Did you know that there’s a spa under Simon Building

Rumour has it that deep in the depths of UoM lies a hidden spa. Why? We cannot say. But should you embark on an adventure to find it? Absolutely.

Three years at university: What have I learnt?

As the academic year draws to a close, here are some of the more unexpected lessons I have learnt from three years at Manchester University

How do we tackle the student loneliness crisis?

At a university where 45,000 students cross paths every day, it should be impossible to feel lonely

Keeping on top of the news cycle: How to stay up to date as a student

Being a student can mean an incredibly busy schedule, so how can you make time to find out what’s happening in the world?