jenny-sterne

Conservatives told to hide conference passes in Manchester

Conservative delegates attending the Party Conference in Manchester must hide security passes amidst safety fears

Conservative members and activists have been told to hide their identification passes while attending the party’s conference in Manchester.

Planned protests have led party bosses to believe there is a hostile threat to members. They have warned attendees to take precautions if they leave the secure “ring of steel” which is to be constructed around the event.

Within the secure zone at the Conference passes must be worn at all times. However in an email to those attending the conference, Party Chairman Lord Feldman warned it was “particularly important” that they take off the Tory-branded identification badges when around Manchester due to safety concerns.

A cocktail party for the Conservative Party, planned to be held at the Chancellor’s Hotel, has already been cancelled due to planned protests by students from Free Education MCR.

Various protests are planned during the conference period across Manchester.

Jeremy Corbyn is expected to make an appearance at a public meeting hosted by the Communications Workers Union, as part of The People’s Assembly’s National Week of Action against austerity cuts.

The TUC is also holding a march in response to the planned government policy to reduce the rights of Trade Unions to strike.

In the e-mail to members, Lord Feldman said: “You may be aware that a protest march planned by the TUC will take place on Sunday the 4th of October to coincide with the start of our Conference.

“The march will pass close to the Conference venues and I wanted to let you know that there may be road closures and potentially some local travel disruption on the day.

“It will be particularly important not to wear your Conference security passes outside the secure zone. I am, as ever, grateful to Greater Manchester Police for all their efforts to put in place measures to secure the smooth running of Conference.”

The conference, held at Manchester Central Convention Centre and the Midland Hotel starts on Sunday the 4th of October and runs until Wednesday the 7th of October.