josephine-harrington

Recipe: Thai prawn curry

Try out Jose Harrington’s recipe for a healing and healthy fresher’s flu dinner

As freshers flu starts to kick in, you’re probably in need of a warming and healthy meal, and especially for this, we have a fragrant Thai curry. If you’re in a hurry, use jarred Thai curry paste rather than make the homemade one. Personally, I prefer the homemade paste as it has a great depth of flavour and is much healthier. This paste can also keep for a couple of months in the fridge, so could be made in bulk and used again. Prawns can be swapped for chicken or omitted completely if catering for vegetarians.

Ingredients:

Serves 3-4

Time: 20 minutes

• Bag of frozen prawns, defrosted
  • 300g white rice
  • 2 spring onions
  • Packet of baby sweetcorn
  • 2 peppers
  • Handful of spinach
  • 50g green beans
  • 400ml coconut milk
  • Sesame seeds (optional)
  • 1 stick of lemongrass
  • 1 lime
  • 1 lemon
  • Fresh coriander
  • 1.5 teaspoons of ground coriander
  • ½ teaspoon of ground cumin,
  • 3 teaspoons minced ginger
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 mild chillies
  • Oil
  • Soy sauce

Method:

Start by blending together the ground cumin, ground coriander, chillies, ginger, garlic, lemongrass stalks, freshly chopped coriander, zest and juice of lime, two tablespoons of oil until a thick paste has formed.

Before heating the wok, ensure that the prawns are defrosted to remove the water. Then add a splash of oil to your Wok and fry the prawns, baby corn, pepper strips and green beans for a couple of minutes until starting to brown.

Add the paste, mix together, and add a can of coconut milk, adding a little water if it looks too dry. Bring to boil and add two teaspoons of soy sauce.

Just before serving, mix in the spinach. Serve with rice, chopped spring onions, sesame seeds and a wedge of lemon.