henry-scanlan

The Gum List

Henry Scanlan is a serial raver, chewing gum connoisseur, and columnist for ‘The Weekly Chew’

1.  Trident
A loose, perky gum, perfect for easing the jaw into action. The 2012 ‘Cinnamon’ batch has a rough viscosity, making for excellent mastication. The 2013 ‘Splashing Fruit’ incarnation, meanwhile, makes for a light, summery chewing gum.

2. Wrigley’s Spearmint
A full-bodied gum. Recommended for adding to a tired ball of Trident for a sharp injection of reinvigorating spearmint. Suitable with red meat.

3. Fisherman’s friend
A fabulous vintage chewing gum with a thick, minty accent. A dry, taut chew. Additionally useful as a rugged throat lozenge for the throes of winter. Serve chilled for best results.

4. Juicy Fruit
Gentler on the mandibles than more robust brands such as Wrigley’s or Extra. Dry and unoaked, with a fragrant character, though the overbearing fruitiness may be a little crass for more refined tastes.

5. The inside cheek
There are moments—in which one loses all sense of time, place, and chewing gum—when one must simply chew something, be that as it may the inside of one’s own face.

Henry Scanlan

Henry Scanlan

Head Music Editor and third-year student of History.

Behold the Bottomless Feast at Red’s True BBQ

Get legless and stuffed, at Red’s True Barbecue’s festive Bottomless Feast with both Meat-Lover and Meat-Free platters on offer!

Soy to the World! The Vegan Christmas Markets are here

A review of the Northern Vegan Christmas Markets that brought environmentally and animal-friendly festive cheer to all visitors

Manchester’s finest festive feasts

From New Century to Escape to Freight Island, FOLK to Reds True Barbeque, we’ve got all your festive food needs covered!

Coffee shops return with a latte new festive drinks

With so many festive additions, which menus will make you frappé this Christmas?